Audi lease turn in?

TLDNR; Audi lease turn in- third party (AIM) did inspection 1/27/21- I was surprised tires passed as they are worn, but $0 charges. Will turn in this week, should I put on Summer tires that came with car to avoid any possible charges (only 200 miles on them)? Or since inspection was done I’m free to sell summer tires to offset disposition fee?

It’s time to turn in my A5- it came with summer tires and I put on all seasons immediately after getting the car. Originally my plan was to take the car to VROOM/Carmax and sell the car as my buyout was about the same as the price those outlets gave me. I figured even if it was a wash I could avoid the disposition fee and I could sell the summer tires for a profit. However, after doing research I’ve found that Audi (AFS) gives an inflated buyout price to third party dealers which would make the deal not good and I’d owe ~$1000. It’s not worth me purchasing the Audi and then selling it. So now I’m thinking I’ll just return it to the dealer (I’m not getting another Audi).

My questions; the Audi came with Summer tires, I put on all seasons and they are worn. The inspection by AIM came back as no charges. Is that the final verdict on what I’ll owe? I’ve seen some people say with Audi that the inspection is all that will be done and I’ll be safe and no further charges will be made. Seems weird that the inspection is good for 90 days and that 90 days of wearing on the tires could put them below 4/32 (which I’m sure they are).

I can put on the original Summer tires, but if I can pass inspection and turn in the car and not worry about any charges on the worn tires I’d rather sell the summer tires to offset the disposition fee. The inspection didn’t note the different tires, but they were all the same specs Audi recommends and I believe most A5’s come with all seasons (I got the Sline package which comes with Summers).

Can I call AFS and just ask them? I was worried they’d just tell me to put on the original tires cause it would be better for Audi- even if I actually don’t need too.

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated. This is my first lease turn in.

As you mentioned Audi’s can come with a variety of tires, but as long as your all-seasons are up to spec (size, speed & load rating, etc.) then they will be fine to turn in. If the inspector passed your tires then you don’t need to put the summer tires back on.

1 Like

Thank you!

Once you get your first inspection and it passes, some (if not Most) OEMs take that as the ‘definition of what this car is’ and send it to Auction with that assumption.

Now if say you got inspected and when you turn it in, it is missing say ‘a front bumper’ then that’s another issue.

For tires? you are golden. Sell the summers and save some $$$

1 Like

Remember pre-inspection is not the same as final inspection so I would take that with a grain of salt. You will probably get away but I wouldn’t sell the summer tires until after it’s grounded and you have the final invoice with $0 charges.

1 Like

There’s no final inspection. If the op got print out or email stating $0 charges, 99% of the time you’re good. That car will go to auction and will not be inspected again. This is exactly why you get the inspection before turning it in. The inspection should have pictures of the tires and any damage noted

1 Like

That can’t be correct- if I had an inspection done 89 days before maturity date and then, 1 day before grounding it I hit a curb and bent a wheel/suspension- you’re saying that you won’t be subject to any additional charges b/c it’s not noted in the pre-inspection report? That doesn’t pass the common sense test.

This is a far more accurate depiction- post inspection by the same 3rd party inspection company after grounding and then final Turn In Invoice from AFS in 4-6 weeks afterwards: Audi lease turn-in questions

You are looking at it on the extremes.
If tires down? they don’t care, a new scratch, they don’t care, you curbed the wheels, they probably won’t care.

You blow the suspension, well that gets noted by the dealer when you turn it in.

And that’s what they ‘say’ on the docs, if it passes inspection why should they spend another $$$ just to hear the same thing. So as I said ‘Most OEMs’ just pass it straight to auction, unless the dealer notes something really off.

1 Like

What about something like brake pads? The AIM inspector can’t check that so does the dealership check that after grounding?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t do much more than look to make sure there isn’t a brake pad warning light on.

2 Likes

I see. I’m turning my Audi A4 during the first week of April. I had my last maintenance in 08/2020 and they marked my rear brakes as yellow (4-5mm). I’ve only driven 1900 miles since so I feel like I’m on the safe side but it would suck to get hit with a brake job bill at dealership prices.

I certainly wouldn’t take what I said as gospel, but I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of anyone getting hit with a brake job on a turn in inspection unless a light was on.

2 Likes

that’s why you get an early inspection , if the light isn’t on, you pass.
If the light comes on LATER (or you decide to do donuts in the next 90 days before turn in) you are good.

OF COURSE if you wreck the car, the dealer will add a note , and you bet they will reinspect.

1 Like

Where on earth did I say that if you bent the suspension sometime between inspection and turn-in that you wouldn’t be subject to a charge? :man_facepalming:

I wanted to follow up on my original post. I spoke with AFS and they said exactly what you told me.

The AIM inspection is good for 90 days and that is what Audi will go off for charges. I specifically asked about my tires being at 5/32 at the time of the inspection and the fact that they’re now probably under 4/32 which is AFS cutoff and they repeated what they told me “we only go off of the inspection sheet, so you will not be charged any fees if that’s the case.”

Further, they said unless there is “egregious” excess wear and tear not reported on the inspection sheet, no charge additional charges will take place. However, if I went over on my mileage from the time of the inspection to the time I ground the lease- excess miles would be charged.

Thanks again for your help!

3 Likes

Thanks for the AFS update

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.