Audi Lease Buyout (In CA) / Selling to Private Party (Out of CA)

I have a leased Audi that want to buy out, the buyout amount is $40k. I have a seller ready to purchase the car at $55k.

Do I need to apply for cdtfa-111? I’ve seen some threads on here where some say you have to, and then some say it’s not required since it’s out of state.

I just want to get some clarification on what exactly the process should be here. I know there’s a 10-day window that I have to sell the car in. Is that 10 days after receiving the title in hand from Audi? Can i sell the car to him then mail the title to him once I get it? I am not sure how long it takes.

What Audi and year. Is the buyer private party or some dealer. If it’s me I will buy and try to sell ASAP within 10 day window. Talk to AFS to make sure you get Title in hand in 10 Day window.
Is Buyer out of state

It’s a private party, not a dealer. Yes, buyer is out of State.

I would think the place to start would be with your buyer determining if a lessor released title not in your name would even suffice for them transferring it into their name in another state.

What do you mean? If I buyout the lease - wouldn’t the released title have my name on it?

The title from audi will come as the lessor release. You’ll take that to the dmv to do the ownership transfer, pay taxes, and then the dmv will issue you a new title, with your name on it.

Since we wouldn’t need to pay taxes if the vehicle is sold to third party or online dealer within 10 days, would you still need to pay DMV first and then seek a refund?

The only other option would be to seek out a dealer such as mycarauctions that accepts that lessor released title and you avoid paying sales tax upfront. That’s what I gathered from reading the other threads.

You’re not going to get the dmv to issue a new title in your name without paying taxes. You’d need to file for a refund.

1 Like

Not true in CA - if his buyer is willing to sign a bill of sale for the car, that’s exactly what CDTFA-111 would allow him to do (re-title the car sans taxes for resale purposes).

OP, there is a big thread on the 10-day exemption in CA that should be easily found - I would suggest you go read it. There are a few different ways to do it, depending on the exact situation.

So have him sign a bill of sale first, then submit the cdtfa? Once I get title release, I have to go to DMV and have them issue the title under my name, then sell the car to buyer, all within 10 days? Does this 10 day start from when DMV issues the title to me or when Audi releases the lease?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.