Audi buyout & lease assumption

Hey All-

SoCal resident here looking to potentially offload my SQ5 for a new car. I called Audi FS and they told me if I’m selling to Vroom (or anywhere else for that matter) the dealer has a different buyout based on market value vs. MY buyout in my contract. Nobody at Audi FS would give me that number either which seemed a bit absurd but whatever ok.

So I never considered posting my car for lease assumption given I recalled that I would still be liable if something happened to the car even thou it wasn’t in my possession. Is that still the case because the information on Swaplease etc. seems to be different. Does anyone have any experience here?

Thank you!

Call me at 424-281-5606 and I’ll help you

Pretty sure the liability issue is still the case. Also Audi FS/ VW Credit is one of the financial institutions that has a different payoff for dealers like carvana or vroom. Search the “Sold on to…” threads and see other folks’ experience with them. I have heard of people calling and pretending to be a dealer or you can do a three way call and they should provide the proper dealer quote.

If you have the funds CA is a state where you can buy out the car and then sell to carvana within 10 days and no sales tax will be charged

How much time do you have left on the lease? I am looking to take over something short term with expiration in Jun-Aug 2021.

1 Like

he’s not going to want to transfer a lease where he remains liable, per his quote below. With Audi, he will. Likewise, if his maturity date is that soon, Audi won’t allow a transfer anyways (can’t transfer in the last 12 months of contract).

I’m not sure where you’re looking at on SAL, but it looks pretty clear to me…

Just to clarify, is the Audi buyout lower for Carmax/Vroom/etc? Do they get a better deal? That would be interesting to know.

No, carvana/vroom/shift/etc pay more, way more. Audi FS/VW Credit charge third party buyers more aka “market value”. Why? Because they can…

So just to be clear, if you have the funds, the best route without liability for getting out of an Audi lease would be buying directly and reselling to a third party dealer. This would get rid of any inflation on buyout price from Audi?

Gets rid of the third party buy out issue, but in states that don’t start with “Californi-” there’s a nice tax burden to deal with.

Got it, which is a 10 day window tax free, for sale to 3rd party dealer.

Assuming you get the title in time, etc. It seems to be a somewhat tightly controlled 10 day window

I am also in the same process of selling my A4 to Vroom and Audi F/S do indeed give a higher dealer payoff quote than the customer payoff quote. (mine was about 1300 difference) I can also confirm that Audi F/S give the same dealer payoff quote whether its vroom, local dealerships, etc. Personally, im selling to vroom cause they offered way more than what dealerships offered for trade in.