Audi at lease end - dealing with Audi FS and DMV to pay no use tax

I’m in Northern California.

2018 Audi SQ5, 27k miles, allowed 36k. Have a lease return, due back 8/31.

I have offers from:

• CarMax - $44,000
  • Audi dealer - return and they’ll cover last 2 months payments/taxes & dispostion fees
  • Carvana - $40,600

===================================
I learned through a different thread that Audi FS charges dealers more for buyout. Not if you buy/lease another Audi though. Clearly intended to prevent someone from trading in an Audi to lease from different car manufacturer.

Here is what the other poster wrote:
1. Audi FS quotes a different buyout price to DEALERS, even another VW company dealer

2. the won’t tell the dealer the buyout over the phone- we and they had to wait 1 hour for a fax

3. the buyout price to the DEALER was $40k… WAY above what the car was worth (wholesale or retail). $4k MORE than our buyout price. So we left the dealer after a couple of hours “empty handed”

He wrote:
So, we purchased ourself, paid $15 to get title fed-ex’d to us, and per CA DMV have 10 days from the receipt of title to sell to another party without having to pay use tax. So we drove back to the Porsche dealer and made the same deal a week later.

Is anybody familiar with the CA DMV paperwork transfer so I don’t pay tax if I buyout from Audi and then sell to CarMax?

Did you try searching? There are almost 10 threads about this.

I found this after searching:

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1BCrdEqFZAlEPLVY4auqVR99wWF9ekCX5OkgDcbX-C1I/mobilebasic

Is this the hackr approved method?

Also, found this write up about another method for lease buyout in California, without paying sales tax.

From the second link.

another one: Careful- Audi Financial- different buyout at Dealer than Private Party

You can also check with @Samaudibh to sell your car.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.