Audi A6 Allroad almost confirmed for the US

Well, in case the RS 6 Avant was too pricey, Audi will sell you a regular (sorta) A6…

1 Like

As good as this review is, I :heartpulse:

So, it’s a wagon, it’s comfortable, it’s luxurious, it’s feature-rich and it’s versatile enough to play the roll of a soft-roader when called upon. What’s the catch? Well, it ain’t cheap.

A 2020 Audi A6 Allroad 55 TFSI Premium Plus with zero options is a $67,000 car. A Prestige package car like ours with the Soho Brown paint finish checks in at $73,040 (including $1,045 for destination). Our loaner likely had some other odds and ends we can’t easily account for, but it’s safe to say that to get one close to this spec, you’re going to shell out approximately seventy-five grand. The Audi and Mercedes-Benz are pretty evenly matched on price, but the less-powerful Volvo V90 Cross Country pretty much tops out where the Audi begins.

You know what else is $10,000 cheaper than an A6 Allroad? Audi’s own Q7 crossover, which offers three rows of seating, more cargo room and more ground clearance. Yeah, you get less power with the base Q7, but there Allroad’s V6 is optional on Audi’s big three-row too, and for about the same money.

#wagonTax

2 Likes

RS6 is still worth salivating over. That thing, at least in appearance from overseas reviews is absolutely amazing.

1 Like

If I had the $, I’d love to get an A6 Allroad (rather unhappy that MB is not bringing a regular E450 to the US any longer).

But, since I don’t have the $, I really need someone to bring over a compact wagon. Honestly, the Corolla (Auris?) wagon would be just fine (and even better in the hybrid form). :slight_smile: Maybe Subaru will humor us and bring over the Levorg. I could learn to deal w/ the CVT.

1 Like

Wasn’t there a A6 avant last year or am I taking crazy pills? Isn’t the all road the same thing, jacked up an inch with plastic cladding?

Outside of the RS6, not to my knowledge.

Only you can answer that. :wink:

1 Like

V60 sounds up your alley

1 Like

IMO the most unfortunate design design in decades, it always cheapens (never toughens) the look, and only works with black paint. We need cladding delete like chrome delete.

If the car is jacked up so high it looks like a monster truck, just lower it.

The RS6 looks sexy af :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: but an A6 AR with Quattro and v6 is 80% sleeper/20% grocery getter. Probably would not feel like a compromise (added to my test drive backlog).

Luckily, it’s a $1k option to have a full paint finish.

It could be, indeed. The only thing is that Volvos have always seemed a bit… “hollow” (I mean structure-wise) w/ slightly flinty ride quality. But I have not driven any of the current gen. And my road trip commute per day is literally like 7 miles, so who cares about ride quality (to a certain extent)? If I can get a sweet deal… :slight_smile: I even like the cloth interior on the V60!

But back to the A6…

Curiously, there is the option to paint the cladding the same color as the rest of the car (at least on the A4 Allroad). I get why the manufacturers raise the car, but, aside from Subaru, they don’t even raise it THAT much. So why not just leave it alone? ::sigh::

1 Like

You can just lower the air suspension back down :joy:

I didn’t get that feeling at all from my s90

Does your S90 have air suspension? The V60 doesn’t have that option.

I imagine I’d be fine w/ the smallest wheel size on a V60… I’ll test drive one in a few yrs. :slight_smile:

It’s a solid car, I have no complaints other than wishing for advanced package.

1 Like

Outside of the aforementioned V60 (not to mention A4 allroad), VW has offered the Golf Sportwagen and Alltrack for years. In fact, you could even get it with a manual. Nobody bought them. And now they’re gone. And Any one of us could have had one for well under $30k. Now we can all drive Tiguans and ID4s as far as VW cares.

This is why we have 100 SUVs for every wagon and the wagons we do get are all quite expensive.

No, it didn’t. I never saw.the need.

I know. I own one. :slight_smile: And VW will not be bringing the next Sportwagen or Alltrack here.

I totally get why auto makes don’t bring them to the US, and I don’t blame them. It’s just unfortunate, though. I think part of the problem, too, is that the US makes brands certify specific models, not a platform and engine.

You know, the ID.4’s packaging seems quite good, and the performance should be respectable, too. The ID.3 has gotten good reviews for how it drives. And an EV, I think, makes more sense for a short commute in the city. I just wish the VW would give it the Skoda interior (which looks far more upscale).

The thing is that all cars have gotten so wide that it’s a bit difficult to squeeze some of them into tight parking spots in the aforementioned city. But the ID.3 is supposed to have a very tight turning radius, so perhaps the ID.4 will, as well.

1 Like

The Jetta/Golf wagon sold really well when it was available in diesel, which was the vast majority of volume for the vehicle. Then the diesel scandal hit and volume dried up.

2 Likes