Attempted to BUY one from VROOM

Wanted to share my experience with an attempt to BUY a car from Vroom. I thought this might be useful for our community.

TL;DR: You need to stay away as much as you can! There are many flaws in the process.

I submitted my order on a '19 BMW X5, ran my credit and was waiting for the process to move forward. No emails, texts, or any sort of notifications so far. You are just left in the dark! There was a record of your order on the website with some minimal info like your delivery address which disappeared the next morning.

They said they offer competitive rates with multiple banks so you can get the best and lowest offer. However, when I submitted the credit application it was only sent to Chase Auto! When I called, they say that’s how it is if you do the application online, if you need to run with multiple banks you have to do the transaction over the phone!

Once I submitted my credit app, next day someone calls me and as soon as I answer someone says “How can I help you?”… I told him that he has called me… Then he said he’s from Vroom and asked if I have any questions about the car I am interested in. The vroom person wasn’t even aware that I have submitted an order and have submitted a credit application on the car.

Eventually, suddenly my order disappeared from my account so there was no way to find that I have ordered a car, I called them, they said my credit application can’t go through because Chase Auto have asked for proof of citizenship… Again, no emails, text, or website notices about this. The whole order section was just disappeared…

I have pre-approval from Capital One but was trying to compare rates and hunt the best rate. Eventually, I decided not to move forward with them.

Why here: I have leased multiple cars, but I am trying to finance my next used car.

I tried to buy a ML63 from them, had a similar experience – couldn’t get them to apply my trade-in towards the purchase, their system kept making it two separate transactions. Also found they added alot of fees on top of the advertised purchase price, which although similar to a regular dealer, is alot different then say Carvana or Carmax. I bailed from the purchase.

1 Like

Moving to off ramp…not a lease.

1 Like

I think it’s pretty brave to buy a car sight unseen, especially a high end euro mobile. Just because they say it’s inspected and has a clean car fax, doesn’t mean jack. Local credit unions probably offer a lower rate anyway. Keep in mind that a quarter point here or there won’t change a car payment that much, it isn’t a mortgage

3 Likes

For the mathematically-challenged a quarter point adds to your $30k Euro Ride loan ~ $6.25/month over your 5 year loan term.

Another way to look at is… That quarter point costs about the same as a domestic twelve pack of beer every month.

1 Like

Where can I buy a 12-pak of of anything domestic for $6? 6-paks run over $6 …

While I dig your math, 6.25 for a domestic 12 pack gets me Natty Ice or Genesee Cream Ale in my neck of the woods :face_vomiting:

1 Like

My bad

How about a bottle of Old-Plow every month.

He’s good at math but has not set foot in a liquor market recently it seems

I feel like the dates for this ordeal are somewhat important to give someone a perspective. Did it happen during the last two weeks or during their normal operation?