At what point will a dealer start to heavily discount a new car on their lot?

I am looking at a 2019 Yukon SLT on cargurus and it states that the vehicle has an MSRP of $75,110 and a selling price of $61,590. Cargurus has it listed for 413 days.

I called the dealer and asked for a breakdown in the price to which the rep stated that due to “employee pricing” and other incentives currently going on that the vehicle has $13,520 in incentives.
75k MSRP minus the 13520 is $61590.

Is the rep misinformed or are they not taking anything off of the selling price from the dealer and just heavily incentivizing the suv through GM.

He also told me that the First Responder Discount would not apply as “employee pricing” trumps it.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/searchresults.action?sourceContext=NewCarsTab&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=t80480&distance=50&zip=02919#listing=222334154

I can’t speak to the specifics of this deal, but this is a thing I always have a hard time remembering - Sometimes a car that’s been sitting on the lot forever can be a signal that you can get a better than usual deal on it (especially if it is a model that isn’t selling well, has weird options/colors, etc), but it is also possible that it is hanging out there forever because the dealer isn’t willing to give up much on the deal.

7 Likes

It’s an SLT with a 6.2L, they usually come with the 5.3.

Strange vehicle imo, 13k in options/packages.

Any hackers/brokers have any type of input here? Should I be pushing for $$ off the MSRP and then take the incentives into consideration as well?

Joey…the selling price online means :poop:. Tell them u want x percent off plus the incentives. Give a friendly reminder car has been on their lot for 413 days and I guess they want to make it 414

4 Likes

Did you verify residual/MF/incentives (to see if it has any) from Edmunds?

Have you checked with another dealer with a 2019 to see if you can suss out the actual rules?

Interesting/adjacent today Question about Costco Card - #5 by chevysalesgirl

I can’t even imagine how many tire kickers they get on that.

1 Like

the car has over 13k off and it’s already had a birthday at the lot. most dealers pay interest on cars on the lot so that is their incentive to move.
i don’t see what the question is in this post? we have comparable deals here. sounds like an ad car.
and first responder is not stackable with employee.

4 Likes

There is no definitive answer. Dealers can price cars however they like. There’s a reason why that car has been sitting on the lot for awhile (ie dealer sucks and doesn’t want to discount it).

3 Likes

The real reason is that the sales manager would rather keep that loser unit on the books, than admit to the owner that he made some big mistakes in last years order plan. That wouldn’t look good for his bonus.

2 Likes

I guess I’m not understanding the pricing breakdown online. Is the “employee pricing” the “special purchase price”? Or is that a separate incentive/rebate.

You will be hard pressed to find a GM dealer willing to go below employee pricing without extreme hesitation, if at all. Is it possible…maybe. Good luck finding that dealer though.

Mp I always wondered…is employee pricing the lowest you will see an Chevy car go for in general? Seemed so gimmicky

1 Like

This would go for all GM, not just Chevy, but in general, yes. Truth is, there isn’t a ton of margin anymore between MSRP and invoice like there was 10 or so years ago, when 15% off supplier deals were as easy to get as a hot cup of coffee. Supplier deals today are a joke compared to pre BK days. Employee pricing isn’t really that much better in most cases, but it is.

Again, is it possible to get below employee pricing? Maybe. Good luck finding the rare GM dealer that will do it though.

You’re liable to see people jump on this thread and say “I got below employee pricing,” making it sound like a cakewalk. Truth is, it isn’t, and they were very lucky.

5 Likes

Thanks good to know…so now just gotta find a gm dealer who will sell my a new corvette at employee pricing :joy:

A c7? That would probably be possible. A c8? Forget it, unless you really are employee pricing eligible.

1 Like

How can you tell how long the vehicles been sitting. Not on this site long and still learning.

Don’t think employee pricing is even available even for GM corporate employees on the new C8 sadly :frowning:

Employee pricing on C8 likely no markup from sticker for the time being.

1 Like