Ask a Leasing Industry Insider Anything

That would be my assumption as well, but thought I’d ask, as you know what happens when you assume…

1 Like

@mp11477 I would say it varies by the lender.

@chrisj6565 Where do you live? A couple of our credit unions have some Land Rover dealers signed up and their MF are all below .00180.

Austin, Texas.

20 char

@RVguy I’d like to know what car you drive.

Do you think the interest rates rising this year and next will make leasing more or less attractive? Will it be harder to get some of these good deals we are seeing now?

Leases will be less attractive in general due to the rising rate environment we are in.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: 2018 Subaru Crosstrek Limited

A post was merged into an existing topic: Please keep all your “wanted” ads here

What do you believe to be some factors for a dealership when they decide to fall out of or go through with someone on a deal?

I ask specifically in situations where the customer is informed and is giving accurate lease numbers and trying to get 20%+ off MSRP before incentives etc.

Is it the medium of communication i.e. text, call, or email?

Would you have any guidelines or pointers on how to deal in these negotiations?

*Edit- Even more nuance being where the buyer is stern or straightforward when the dealer starts to say “we are under invoice” “we are under holdback” etc. And it becomes an issue of explaining to the dealer that the car has been on the lot for 100+ or 200+ days and that 2020’s will come soon and manufacturer lease support will end because of that. Do I just wait it out for the end of the month so they can bust out the trunk money? should I be bringing up dealer cash to be added alongside the incentives?

I know its lengthy but I’m dying for help and I could really use it.

1 Like

Guessing you are asking about that 5er?

Despite sedans being slow sellers right now 20%+ isn’t going to happen unless it’s a loaner closing in on 5K, usually a base model or a gadget gusher…

I’m practically a junkyard dog when it comes to bottom dollar and even I knew 18% was a solid loser on a new 5 unit. My 16.4% deal came end of month and was on a 9 month car. (fortunately it spent those 9mos inside the main showroom!)

If not for tax credits that saved $70/mo I wouldn’t have even considered it and would have gone for a 4 instead or waited on the next BMW flea market fire sale.

I am asking about that 540i,

I’ll it’s tough to get anyone to budge really. I even had one dealer tell me their invoice and hold back amounts to try and work a deal with me. That dealer ended up getting me 17% off MSRP, but I know deep down I can get a sweeter deal if I work a little harder and wait for the right moment. We’re nearing the end of the month and I think thats when I’ll re-load and attempt to hack some more deals.

I haven’t asked for dealer cash in any of my negotiations but I think I will. I’m also thinking about getting a dealer to throw in trunk money at the very end of negotiating and that is why I think its important I do all this at the end of the month on a slow day.

Now my question is, should I be negotiating on say a Wednesday a couple of days before the end of the month or should I do all this on the weekend in the last 2-3 days of the month?

Where is this dealer cash and trunk money coming from? Does it even exist on the 540? Sounds like you have unrealistic expectations.

3 Likes

2020 LCI may be impending but until they hit the lots if you’re getting 17% before incentives on a new 5 unit with base MF, and no add-ons, take it and run. Seriously.

Yes, I may have unrealistic expectations.

I’m making the assumption that something should be there for the 540’s hopefully in the end of this month or next month because its selling slowly and they’re sitting on lots.

I also wouldn’t know either-way if there is trunk money or dealer cash available I don’t think there is a place or resource I can use to research those numbers. But the way I see it, it doesn’t hurt to try and I will never receive if I never ask. Yes I’m in unknown territory, yes my expectations are set too high, but I’ll risk shooting for the stars to land on the moon, yet maybe even the clouds.

As much as I want to jump on it right now, I’m just going to wait it out until the last week of the month. It gives dealers time to think, forget about me, then remember me all over again. I just can’t imagine I wont be able to get a bit more out of a deal at the end of the month.

I did mention base models, odd color combo or heavily loaded examples for a reason. Usually either of these cars will sit as

a) Usually they are custom ordered and deal just didn’t go through for whatever reason.

b) Most consumers tend to go for middle of the road examples or value packages over base…A base car is often seen as a “bad value” for buyers despite statistically leasing the best (lower sticker, lower depreciation to pay, discounts mean more) A high option car gives most buyers sticker shock and will almost always lease moreso poorly.

I just optioned the car out with m package and nothing else, white exterior and black interior. I will say that there are some funky interior trims out there like the wood trims look really bad with the black leather.

I also do remember that I should have An OL code by the end of next month since there are multiple events going on in the middle of July.

1 Like

OL code will help but don’t expect the full $1,000 (dealer contribution is $500 of that) if already at 17% pre-incentive.

Listen, I totally understand wanting to bring back that deal no one else could touch, and you may very well still do that. 17% pre-incentive is solid for a new unit, take that as you may however I wish you best of luck holding out for 20%.

2 Likes

Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words. I only recently started posting here but you’ve given me some valuable nuggets of info like the OL code tip.

Hopefully I pull of a great deal and I post all about it and maybe that opens the floodgates for others…

2 Likes