Are we able to negotiate the buyout price upon lease end?

Hello Guys,

I have 2 months left on my infiniti Q50s lease and wondering if the buyout price can be negotiable if I decide to buy the car? I would also like to share few reasons that I am thinking about keeping the car.

1st: Miles excessed
2nd: Great condition, I never abused it and I treated like I bought it at first place :slight_smile:
3rd: Not a good time to get my next new car since the market is in low supply due to chipset shortage

So far the answer is no, but today’s market makes it a harder no. they don’t want to give the car away for ‘less’

1 Like

make sense! I thought so too but just want to hear more opinions. Thanks

The reasons you shared should be secondary considerations. What is the purchase price, how long do you intend to own it, what is the expected resale value at the end of that time period, etc.?

Hi Max, The purchase price is $23xxx. I actually not sure how long I intend to own it but I would say apprx another 6 months until the market became better and I have no clue how much it will worth by that time.

You realize you have to pay tax on that $23k right? That alone will cost you over $300/mo if you keep the car for only 6 months.

2 Likes

yea that sucks. I actually don’t know what’s the best move. If I can get a decent leasing deal on the m440i I will return the car .

You could always ask them to extend your lease 6 months

1 Like

Price is what says on contract plus tax and is not negotiable

1 Like

I have never known them to be negotiable. If you are only trying to keep until the end of the shortage then I agree about the tax putting you over. Have you priced how much the car is with Carmax, carvana and Vroom? They were willing to give me up to $5800 over the buyout of my 3 year old Highlander with 33.6K miles. It is crazy. However my understanding is Nissan (assuming that is who you lease it through and not a finance company) does not allow 3rd party buyouts. Toyota as of last month does.

The problem is if you wait until the end of the shortage, the car may only be worth what it should have been to begin with. If you like the car and plan to keep it long term, then I would buy it but I have no idea what it is worth, have not researched that car. If this is temporary then either extend (but you will still have to deal with the excess miles eventually if you or someone else does not buy it) or find a Nissan or Infinity dealer who will buy it and take the money off a new one. I ended up doing that with another brand (no Highlanders available the way I want in my area as of early August) since Toyota allows that as of when I traded it in. I ended up getting a better lease than I would have in 2018 because they used the equity in my lease against the taxes, fees and first payment. For me it was easier than dealing with a 3rd party but only because of my particular situation, as someone else in my family was the leaseholder and I needed to do one transaction

While you can’t directly negotiate it, there was a time when sometimes you could get the dealer to buy it out at a reduced price from the captive and pass on some of the savings being that the market value was below that of the RV.

But these days, when cars are nearly universally worth more than buy out, you do NOT want to buy it at ‘market value’ so you’re better off at the preset RV. Just be happy you’re contractually entitled to that.

1 Like

you can always try. These days it’s not common but in 2019 I had a Cadillac lease ending and the contracted residual was $46k. The leasing company offered me a $3,000 discount, buy the car for $43k, and the figure to the Cadillac dealer was $40k. The car was not worth it, it actually ended up at a Cadillac dealer in another state the listed it for $36,998. I offered the leasing company $36k for it and they declined

A few months ago BMWFS was giving me 2k off the buy out, i extended and its due back in Nov, not sure if they will still give that savings to me

not a chance

How did you know where it ended up?

I googled the VIN a few weeks after I turned the car in. Showed up for sale at Sewell Cadillac in Dallas Texas

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.