Are VW Tiguan's terrible to lease?

Hi all – my 2020 Volvo XC40 lease is up at the end of April, and with two kids now we’re looking for something with a bit more room (though not a 3 row, as we’re not going to be driving carpools at this stage…)

We’ve been exploring small/mid-size SUV options across the price spectrum, and tested out a Tiguan this week that we liked a lot.

The option we’re interested in is the Tiguan SEL R-Line, and the initial numbers that we got back (*before any negotiation) are:
MSRP: 39,875
Sale price: 39,375
Incentives: 0
Down Payment: 1,000
Fees: 1,364
Taxes: 1,924
36/10k
Residual: 60%
MF: .00336

Confirmed MF with Edmunds and Residual is a few percentage points lower than what Edmunds says. Even if I could negotiate say 8% off MSRP and align the residual, the total cost over the lifetime of the least is ~$25k, and that’s more than I’ve seen X3’s on the marketplace in the past couple of weeks!

Does the high MF and low residual make this a non-starter to lease? Would appreciate any and all help, thanks in advance!

1 Like

Sounds like you already know the answer to your question.

I just like the experts to weigh in :slight_smile:

It looks like youve done your homework. Kudos!

Im not an expert on VW leases but it looks like…

No discount
No incentives
High-ish MF
Moderate RV

None of this smells like a good lease is in the making…especially when the nearly inevitable dealer adds get (tried to be) piled on.

Now, that doesnt mean you shouldnt get what you subjectively want (if this is the “one” for you and your needs), but at least you know what you are getting into because of your diligence.

2 Likes

Look at XC60 if you have Costco. You have owner loyalty which will help. $1000 on a lease in DC area.

Thanks! Honestly, I much prefer the X3, or the XC60 – but I figured budget-wise the Tiguan or something of that sort would work out better.

I’d guess that I could get more of a discount on the Tiguan, but even then it doesn’t seem to make financial sense when the cost is still at or above what it would be to lease an X3.

Thanks! Definitely like the XC60 a ton as we loved our XC40, but the initial quotes I’ve gotten from dealers are wild

If there are any brokers that work with midwest dealers or would ship to the midwest, that’d be great.

You have Volvo loyalty. Do you have a Costco membership? That’s an additional $1250 incentive through January 3, 2023. And maybe Volvo has a lease to lease incentive at this time… Not sure…

I had an xc60 and it’s such a great vehicle. I’d figure out what all the incentives are in your region, and the MF and RV all from Edmunds forum (of course you have to know the exact trim you want), then stick those numbers in the leasehackr calculator and if you like the numbers, email 5 different Volvo dealers with the deal YOU WANT based on the HW you did.

It’s end of year. You have some leverage.

Ideally @Benedetto will pop in shortly and perhaps be able to help you out. Conversely you can check out his marketplace thread in the meantime.

1 Like

Just reached out to him, thanks!

Thanks! Unfortunately no Costco, kicking myself for not planning better earlier this year.

Going to take your advice and reach out to some more dealers with pricing and hope something lands!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.