Are too many newbies expecting a unicorn-type deal?

And then get mad at you for either asking for more details or telling them it isn’t a stellar deal.

2 Likes

The problem is some of the dealers marking stuff up pretty bad.

Few months ago when I was shopping the quoted me $800+ mo for a Volvo S60 T6 R-Design fully loaded.

I got laughed at on the board.
So it kinda goes both ways.

But spending some time on the board and understand how the leasing pricing works it helped me work a good deal out via a dealer on these board.

2 Likes

Only people that bother to write reviews are those that had a bad experience?

I don’t see that. I’m not ready just yet for a new car, but I’ve already decided that in a few months when I am, I’m going to be reaching out to you. That’s partly because of the deals, but mostly because of all the positive reviews I’ve read on your page.

I may take that challenge up to determine on average how much each member has saved

2 Likes

What did he do?

If I recall correctly, he leased a demo BMW that was a few miles short of the limit of being leasable and wrote a check for the down payment. Drove the vehicle past the mileage of being leasable, then called the bank and put a stop on his check. Then told the dealer he would only give them the money if they lowered the price further or they’d have to unwind the deal that was now unleasable.

2 Likes

Pretty sure Bmw loaners can be grandfathered into lease support eligibility under such conditions (eg, went over the limit without the dealer’s consent or foreknowledge)

Even if not, I would also assume the GM would rather unwind the deal rather than set such a dangerous precedent. There’s also ego too: nobody wants to look like they have been hoodwinked by a customer.

Maybe there’s more to the story or it’s BS

2 Likes

Could be… But he either admitted to commiting felony check fraud or made up a story where he did

It’s the internet. What would it be without some creative writing?

1 Like

I would dismiss as BS as well. In fact, the thread got locked until he posted a picture of his contract. Matched what he said.
Im still salty one of the other admins closed the thread instead of… letting him talk more about his felonies.

And … what? He would have been arrested and taken for a perp walk… and we would have all clapped?

Now I want to read this thread

I still have a pdf print of the whole thread in case the police come looking for him…

2 Likes

Correction, it was $138/m for a 56k BMW 530

Oh I don’t mean on this website. I mean in general, typically people only complain on reviews.

1 Like

It was impressive how righteous he thought he was

I still think he photoshopped it. If the dealer was willing to go that deep and number of friends and family would have gotten that deal first.

I offered $500 to produce the lease sheet and it took him several days before he finally posted something.

Between FOLP, precedent avoidance, and ego there’s just no way a GM would agree to what was described.

$0.02

1 Like

Look guys, I absolutely agree that that whole thing was nuts. Maybe he made it up, maybe he photoshopped his contract. Who knows. If I was the dealer, I would have called the police first. The only thing I have learned from askcarsales is that even dealer managers are human and fuckup. Maybe they need to go home early or who knows. Im not defending the guy.
At the end, posts like those creates unrealistic expectations for people who don’t bother to read or understand the whole lease hack thingie

1 Like

If I was the GM my wife would have a new 5-series before I even considered selling it to that guy…