Are Acura, Infiniti, and Buick still premium

True, but MDX managed to be all new and outdated at the same time, which is a feat to itself.

Just charging premium prices

Better based on what? Lexus’s significantly higher yearly sales clearly shows it has far higher brand prestige and makes better, more popular vehicles.

Maybe the creaky old platform it’s on won’t support much more lengthening?

I suspect that some of the variations in tech and things not trickling down (or up) in a timely fashion could have something to do with the way some Japanese corporations are structured. Sony is a good example of this. Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Consumer electronics are in many cases walled off from one another, which leads to little sharing between the two.

Interesting post and interesting view points. I wanted to jump in because I just bought a Type S from @aronchi and received it on Monday.

Just fyi, I bought it with cash, not lease or finance. The numbers just didn’t make sense to lease. As for why I wanted the car, I honestly just wanted a non-German/American daily driver and a long distance highway car. I currently own a BMW 550xi. My wife drives a Mercedes GLC. I also have a Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic order in place that is set to arrive in mid-October at my local dealer (I plan to trade in the BMW for it). So honestly, I just wanted something else and I liked the styling (personal preference, I’ve attached some pics). I also officiate college football and I wanted a car I wouldn’t mind putting miles on driving to the schools if flying wasn’t an option. I really wanted something I could just cruise on the highway with a little kick.

I will say that I bought this car without taking a test drive. Is it perfect and for everyone? No, I don’t really think any car will ever make everyone happy. However, it is fairly surprising and fun. Build quality seems great so far. I do notice that everyone (including Acura) always compares the Type S to the German competitors and the drag times, etc. Yes, an m340i or S4 will kick it’s ass. However, I am old enough that I’m not going to race someone so that doesn’t matter to me. It’s more than quick enough for my needs. Yes, Acura could have done better but this is a good start if they are truly trying to mount a comeback. I’m not a fanboy, this is my first Acura. My sister did have an Integra in high school but that’s been my only experience from the brand until now.

Anyways, just thought I’d shed some light on it since I actually own one. If you haven’t driven one, I think it will fairly surprise you. If it isn’t for you, it isn’t for you. Just good luck trying to get this car. I was extremely fortunate that I saw @aronchi’s post. Some dealers were asking for $10k over MSRP. Key word… they were asking. I doubt anyone would or should pay anything over sticker for this car (or any car). Overall, about a week in, I absolutely enjoy the hell out of it.

15 Likes

Drive in good health. Stunning color combo.

Shameless plug - I still have 2 more available in tiger eye pearl…

6 Likes

Enjoy & have fun with it.

1 Like

Let us know how you like it once you put some miles on it.

1 Like

what do you all think of the current RDX? CR liked it except for the turbo lag.

You were able to afford a RR sport being a college football ref? Man I wonder what the zebras at the pro level drive.

I thought the issue was that the new TLX is on the new accord platform where before, the 2020 and older TLX was a few generations behind the new accord.

Or did they take the RDX platform and scale it to the TLX? I honestly can’t tell what Acura is doing anymore, it’s pretty confusing.

Many college/pro football and basketball refs do that as a side hustle, even though it can pay very well. I know a couple of college basketball refs that are attorneys.

1 Like

That’s just my hobby. I’m actually a shareholder in a law firm.

1 Like

It does seem to be an RDX derived platform, but a new variant specifically for TLX & MDX. Apparently it won’t be shared with any Honda branded products.

Acura has specifically said that the RDX and TLX are on new platforms.

My own totally uninformed take is that they are heavily modified platforms from… somewhere, b/c I can’t imagine Acura being given the $ necessary to develop its own platform.

I think that used to be the case a generation ago but couple things have changed.

1. Accord and Camry used to dominate their segments, as the sporty and durable family car respectively. Not only did they have a huge slice of that pie, but the pie itself was much larger. Not any more. Look at 2018 and 2019 (last two full years prior to the pandemic) vs the plateau of multiple 375K+ years.

2. So a lot of customers who would have made the journey from Civic → Accord → Acura aren’t even getting to the Accord step any more.

1 Like

I suspect they are all new (the front architecture is so different from any existing Honda platform, that it would be so highly unlikely to be shared), but are so heavily dependent on the profit/volume of the MDX to justify it. RDX too. The TLX would never have gotten it without those two.

1 Like

They could be going to CR-V’s and RAV4’s? The entire entry level sedan market just died as a whole so that’s where I’m guessing their customers are going.

Yes, absolutely (IMHO). The next question is, where are they going after the CR-V and RAV4 when they want something "fancy?’ Lexus? Maybe (although no true 3-seater for Lexus) I don’t think a ton of them of them are moving to Acura/Infiniti/Buick. I think they’re moving to Palisade/Telluride/the Germans.