Are Acura, Infiniti, and Buick still premium

I don’t think it ever trickled down. It trickled across the console. As in you get a Power driver’s seat in the Pilot, if you want a power passenger seat you have to get an MDX.

1 Like

Genuine question: what was the new tech?

For SUVs, Acura MDX is new for 2022. The Pilot is still the old model, and it will probably get updated in 2-3 years. The current CRV is still based on the old platform (5th gen?) and not the current RDX which has been out for like 3 years.

Lexus is the opposite on SUVs. The Highlander and Rav4 got updated, but the current RX and NX are based on the old platform. 2022 NX (coming out this fall) will be based on the new platform.

Honda got Apple CarPlay and Android auto before Acura did. Panoramic sunroofs came to Pilot before MDX. I’m sure there were others.

I know it’s new, but it’s also “meh” at the best. There was a whole thread here already on this subject so no need to re-hash. The tech in Acura leaves a lot to be desired. What kind of BS is “Initializing voice control” and then thinks forever just to say it can’t understand anything? The navigation is borderline retarted and hasn’t gotten any smarter in the past 7 years.

1 Like

To me - Acura and Infiniti for whatever reason, a lack of investment, bad brand direction, etc. are both a step behind their closest competitor Lexus, which I think clearly has put itself in a class with the German makes. Genesis proves that it is possible to break into this space well. I think Volvo’s resurgence proves that. Buick only exists for the Chinese market now, and even the styling and design language of the vehicles is totally catered to that. Which makes sense, the Chinese market is huge and growing and they love Buick. I think GM thinks they can sell a few in the US along the way, but I don’t see the US as Buick’s long-term focus at all.

3 Likes

[TLX type S] Competes against the S4 and M340i and would get stomped by both.

An interesting, and sort of related, article from Motor Trend just popped up today:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/acura-nsx-lexus-ls400-history-review/

2 Likes

in what sense? the MDX is a better car than the RX. The TLX is miles better than the IS, and the RDX is better than the previous gen nx (i haven’t seen the new one to be able to comment). IMO there are the germans + Volvo. and then there are the japanese and koreans.

3 Likes

In terms of sales?

1 Like

you saying it in every thread doesn’t really make it so. In what sense is it better? Except for the AWD system, can’t really find anything that it does better.

Are they the same class? IS would be ILX no? I’m not sure where TLX would fall against Lexus, it was always somewhere between a GS and ES I guess, but not really inline with either. And now there is no GS anymore.

1 Like

To be fair, the RX and IS are very long in the tooth. It isn’t exactly a high bar to outpace them

1 Like

Doesn’t every brand think they are premium right now?

2 Likes

There are only a finite number of people who want non-European reliable luxury and I think Lexus has that market cornered right now but Genesis is trying hard to get a piece of that pie.

1 Like

That’s a win by default as the RXL doesn’t have a proper third row. Why it doesn’t is baffling.

True, but MDX managed to be all new and outdated at the same time, which is a feat to itself.

Just charging premium prices

Better based on what? Lexus’s significantly higher yearly sales clearly shows it has far higher brand prestige and makes better, more popular vehicles.

Maybe the creaky old platform it’s on won’t support much more lengthening?

I suspect that some of the variations in tech and things not trickling down (or up) in a timely fashion could have something to do with the way some Japanese corporations are structured. Sony is a good example of this. Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Consumer electronics are in many cases walled off from one another, which leads to little sharing between the two.

Interesting post and interesting view points. I wanted to jump in because I just bought a Type S from @aronchi and received it on Monday.

Just fyi, I bought it with cash, not lease or finance. The numbers just didn’t make sense to lease. As for why I wanted the car, I honestly just wanted a non-German/American daily driver and a long distance highway car. I currently own a BMW 550xi. My wife drives a Mercedes GLC. I also have a Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic order in place that is set to arrive in mid-October at my local dealer (I plan to trade in the BMW for it). So honestly, I just wanted something else and I liked the styling (personal preference, I’ve attached some pics). I also officiate college football and I wanted a car I wouldn’t mind putting miles on driving to the schools if flying wasn’t an option. I really wanted something I could just cruise on the highway with a little kick.

I will say that I bought this car without taking a test drive. Is it perfect and for everyone? No, I don’t really think any car will ever make everyone happy. However, it is fairly surprising and fun. Build quality seems great so far. I do notice that everyone (including Acura) always compares the Type S to the German competitors and the drag times, etc. Yes, an m340i or S4 will kick it’s ass. However, I am old enough that I’m not going to race someone so that doesn’t matter to me. It’s more than quick enough for my needs. Yes, Acura could have done better but this is a good start if they are truly trying to mount a comeback. I’m not a fanboy, this is my first Acura. My sister did have an Integra in high school but that’s been my only experience from the brand until now.

Anyways, just thought I’d shed some light on it since I actually own one. If you haven’t driven one, I think it will fairly surprise you. If it isn’t for you, it isn’t for you. Just good luck trying to get this car. I was extremely fortunate that I saw @aronchi’s post. Some dealers were asking for $10k over MSRP. Key word… they were asking. I doubt anyone would or should pay anything over sticker for this car (or any car). Overall, about a week in, I absolutely enjoy the hell out of it.

15 Likes