Appliance HACKR

The Canadian guy on TikTok is my go to for appliance info

2 Likes

I’ve been reading a lot of Speed Queen reviews and posts lately and I’m not convinced their legendary status is entirely justified these days. The house we’re buying won’t come with a washer and dryer, so I’ll be in the market soon. Curious of everyone else’s thoughts:

Positive:

• Widespread anecdotes of long term reliability. 10 years, 20 years, 30 years even. TBH, its hard to find any posts about repairs or really anything else besides reliability.
  • Simple design in terms of parts, which should mean any breaks are easy to repair
  • They wash well? Although I can’t seem to find anything suggesting they wash notably better than anything else.

Negative:

• Small Capacity. The biggest they sell is only 3.2 cu ft, which is tiny!
  • Expensive. The front load models are nearly $1000 more expensive than many other brands and top loaders are hundreds more. Plus, they’re almost never on sale. Were these cheaper before, or has everyone just bit the bullet?
  • Not the most visually appealing. Lower on my priority, but my fiancé cares more
  • Poor efficiency means higher running costs, not to mention I’d have to run more loads due to the lower capacity.
  • Apparently the front loaders aren’t as reliable, or some of the stuff made since 2018

Paying $3000 to $4500 for a Speed Queen set with higher operating costs, just hoping I can add my name to the multi-decade list doesn’t seem worth it. I’m leaning towards a Maytag or Whirpool set

Speed Queen is owned by Alliance Laundry Systems - the largest commercial laundry outfit in the world. Speed Queen, Huebsch and other Alliance machines are built to take a beating every day. SQ changed their washing machine setup several years back to meet the new Energy Star requirements, etc. and the ability to get clothes clean went down significantly. SQ retooled the machines and now they are way better but not as good as the pre-2017 machines. Tons of YouTube videos on this if you search.

We have a TR7 (top load) washer and DR7 dryer with the extended warranties from SQ available at the time. Maybe $4k total. Had them for two years and they are beasts. If you want huge capacity then look elsewhere as these are not high cap, and the same with “looks” - which is sort of silly (sorry to your significant other). Top loader with an agitator is the way to go, but the (2nd) redesign and water/energy requirements for us means washing everything on the HD cycle, which is fine and the clothes have not been beat up by this. Efficiency? Don’t care as we have solar and produce more electricity than we use.

Would stay away from any front load washer. Mold, less water meaning your clothes cycle through dirty water on a front-facing drum, have to bend over nonstop even with pedestals, hard to throw in other items during a cycle and other reasons that we have gone back to a true top loader washer after failed adventures into the Korean front loaders.

Maytag, Whirlpool and Kenmore back in the day (20+ years ago) were bulletproof. Not anymore, made overseas and junk IMO compared to the SQ units (made in the USA).

If the Maytag/Kenmore/Whirlpool world still existed like it used to then maybe we would still be going that route, but those days are gone. We have owned probably 10 different washers and dryers in several houses, and I would not own anything at this point but a SQ and a top loader washer.

YMMV

Every font load washer I have ever seen gets disgusting inside the seal. Unless you absolutely need a font load (staking in an apartment etc.) get a top loader.

3 Likes

I appreciate the response and it echoes pretty much everything I’ve read on Speed Queen.

The price and low capacity are what I’m struggling with the most. I wouldn’t say I need “huge” capacity, just that 3.2 cu ft is very small.

Adding to the analogies, Speed Queen is like the Land Cruiser of laundry. A bit overpriced, not really the best at anything, but will outlast the rest.

1 Like

as a current owner of the top load with agitator and dryer i can shed some light on this. I own this washer and corresponding dryer:

I went through 3 brands of defective top load washers with agitators, including Whirlpool’s so-called ‘professional’ model which turned out to just be a re-badged consumer model, and this was after coming from an LG washer dryer combo that I had to have repaired 7 times that eventually they just paid out on after more than a year of constant failures. I just looked up the receipt and bought 12/2019 for $850 each, so prices certainly have gone up, but so has everything else. At this point prices just are what they are. Chose this model because it was the newest top load non-digital at the time and even back then, these prices were more than just about anything on the market.

As for your positives I’ll answer them below:

i’ll answer these together because they’re related. There is a VERY good reason that you don’t read about speed queen’s online - people don’t go online to bitch about them. they work and don’t give you problems, period. god forbid they do, you can actually get it repaired. go read the reviews on maytag and samsung dishwashers to get an idea of what its like dealing with these garbage ass companies. you think ‘reliability’ is just something you write off until you’re stuck with no washer and dryer for weeks on end while waiting for parts and you have to start hauling your ass off to the laundromat to do laundry or pay through the nose for a wash and fold at the dry cleaners.

washing ratings are deceptive. you have to think about the mechanics of the washing machine you’re using. a front load spins the clothes over and over themselves like a barrel rolling down hill. this works on commercial units because they spin at like 1000 miles an hour and really do a good wash cycle. in consumer units they tend not to work this well. we had a top of the line LG front load and a top load as well. neither washed particularly well when it came to stains or spots because there was nothing for the laundry to “rub up against” to get the stain out. in the LG top load, all it does is has some plates in the bottom of the tub that purportedly move up and down a little bit and that is supposed to jostle the clothes enough to wash them. it doesn’t. that’s the primary reason we wanted an agitator in the new washer and this thing really does a great job. not once since we’ve had it have i had reason to doubt the cleanliness of the clothes after a load. that happened multiple times with the LG’s we had.

i was worried about this as well but its surprisingly large inside. i can get a full laundry basket full of clothes in there with no problem. only thing we really can’t wash any longer are comforters or pillows.

after you get treated like dogshit for long enough you tend to be more willing to pay for quality experiences.

i can’t answer this because i’ve never once been in someone’s house or a showroom and thought ‘that there sure is a sexy dryer…’

again this is debateable and i’m not sure that the efficiency test are all equal. i haven’t noticed any increase in electricity but we only run about 4 loads a week give or take. maybe someone else can comment. what’s the trade off, $3 a month in extra electricity maybe? i’m sure you can bridge that gap.

no front loader is going to be as reliable as a top loader just due to the possibility of mold and other front loader issues. another reason we wanted to get back to the top load models.

please god don’t do this. i mean, i’d rather you did this than a samsung or lg, but you’d be better off buying the speed queen in the long run. i will evangelize for this product until the day that i die after being treated like a dog in the street by samsung and lg.

oh, all their customer service agents are in the US as well and they usually can get service out to you in a matter of days. this might not seem like a big deal until you can’t get a whirlpool person out for 2 weeks or a samsung person out for 4 and then there are no parts to order once they diagnose the problem.

1 Like

And I’ve got king size comforters, so its a pretty big loss.

Unfortunately, speed queen is out of my budget (Unless you know a half off hack? :slight_smile: ). I simply can’t afford to pay $4000 for a washer and dryer set at the moment - have a number of other expenses moving into this house. I really need the next best! Plus it would bother me hauling my comforter and sheets to the laundromat once per month, with my expensive laundry set at home.

not really if you think about how well a front load could even really wash something that big. we’ve just resigned taking it to the cleaners for $30 once every few months when necessary. i could take it to the laundromat for $10 but there isn’t really one around.

i get that. im not sure why you think it would cost $4k though. the model i linked was $1500 for the washer and $1500 for the dryer. you might be able to find somewhere local offering a small discount or free installation or whatnot.

unfortunately, i can’t help with particular models of whirlpool or maytag. i would advise, in as strong a term possible, read every review that’s negative on whatever model you’re looking for. you can weed out a lot of garbage that way.

1 Like

$4k is what the front load speed queens go for. I’ve read reviews saying they’ve got the capacity to wash a king comforter. I’d get a speed queen if I could find a scratch and dent one, but they’re pretty elusive.

My budget is legit $2k and under. I still have to buy a fridge too. They’re leaving an ancient range and dishwasher, which I’m just hoping will last a few months.

again i’d choose the top load but to each their own. washing the comforter once every 2-3 months isn’t exactly a priority and you could always get a duvet cover.

maybe costco 4th of july sale? you just missed all the memorial day sales.

costco kitchen aid or whirlpool.

prayer GIF

Get the samsung washer and dryer. They give 3 year warranty for like 1 dollar. Both a washer and dryer should run you like 1300-1400, unless you want the large 5.3 cu washer(Good for king size comforters)

You could get it from home depot. They’ll price match any local appliance store near you and give you free delivery. A large 5.3 samsung washer at home depot is like 856 plus tax.

Funny story. When I moved into my house, it had a 8 year old front load washer. The mold was so bad that I almost went to ER for chlorine poisoning b/c of how much chlorine I used to nuke the mold.

In the end, went to costco and got a big ass LG top load with a nice discount.

2 Likes

Also since no one has mentioned. Let’s talk about Dishwashers. I like my Bosch.

3 Likes

We’ve owned nothing but front load washers for the past 10 years and have never had an issue with mold or mildew. The key is to leave the door slightly ajar after each cycle so it can air out properly. Wiping out the gasket with a clean cloth every few cycles can help remove any stubborn leftovers. Hell, our new GE has a “vent cycle” that can run after each load that dries out the drum and gasket.

As for dishwashers, we recently bought a GE Profile from Costco and it has been awesome. There’s not even a need to rinse dishes before loading it anymore.

3 Likes

I’ve said this here before, but you’d never buy a car that requires you to leave the door open so it doesn’t smell terrible and/or get moldy inside between uses.

At least I wouldn’t…

2 Likes

It’s a good thing that it’s an appliance and not a car then

5 Likes

If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s to avoid Samsung Appliances like the plague. Partially because their warranty support is terrible and known for ridiculously long wait times. But they also seems to be generally more prone to breaking due to having too much technology.

I’ve got a number of choices below $2k for a set, it just unfortunately rules out the internet favorite Speed Queens. My research overall (after Speed Queen, below $2k and can wash a king comforter):

• LG WM4000 Turbowash front loaders: Generally viewed as best overall front loaders. Reliable and well washing. If it breaks, it can be a pain to get parts. So very important to buy from a local place that can service them (I have one in San Diego).
  • GE GFW550/650 Ultrafresh front loaders: Slightly more instances of reliability problems, but they are made in the USA and part availability or service isn’t an issue. Ultrafresh vent system seems well regarded in terms of preventing mold in the seal if I get lazy and forget to open the door.
  • Maytag and Whirlpool front loaders: Not as highly regarded as the two above in terms of function, but generally reliable and easy to service.

I was all ready to buy my stuff on the memorial day sales, but our appraisal got held up and pushed out or closing date :frowning: . Some brands still have sales through the 14th, so might still be in luck

Those are my top choices unless I can get a Bosch fridge on scratch and dent sale.

It sounds like you have a cash flow issue with the purchase of the new place. That can happen.

I also see there are all kinds of SQ dealers in San Diego and the first I went to from the SQ dealer locator page has 0% on anything $799 and up for 24 months (said through 2/28/23 but it probably is still going).

Appliance places do that all the time and that is free money for 24 months where you can eat it incrementally. Could also find a huge SUB for a AMEX, CSP/CSR/Ink, etc. card and put it all on there to make your MSR and transfer to a deal for a 0% card for 18/24 months, etc.

LA/OC shops at the right price would be in the picture as well if you have access to a pickup or a small uhaul rental.

If I were you I would find the best price on each appliance you want and work the stores like you would for a car as to the best prices. Then get zero interest and/or points if you can.

Maybe not the greatest options for you, but options nonetheless.

1 Like

Trying to get our numbers and dates firmed up has been the bane of my existence the past few weeks… I kinda hate home buying now. Too many middlemen and not enough transparency. I have lots more cash available in investments that I could tap into, I just don’t want to as the dividends are paying nicely for what’s left.

But yeah, I’ll definitely consider financing if needed.

1 Like

if you think samsung is bad just wait, JUST WAIT, until you deal with LG’s customer support.

already off to a good start here…

while parts are readily available I don’t believe GE makes any front loader appliances in the USA. according to this:

https://www.geappliances.com/appliances/washers-made-in-america/

says who, consumer reports? you honestly can’t trust them when it comes to appliances. that’s how i and many others ended up with samsung and lg refrigerators and washing machines.

2 Likes