Anyone with sciatica found a car/suv they can sit in for more than 40 minutes?

YouTube has some good ones. :slightly_smiling_face:.

Partner (who is not a clinician but used to work for a chiropractor) thinks that at least some of the maneuvers performed by that person are dangerousā€¦

1 Like

chiropractic is junk science created by an insane person. if you want to go down a rabbit hole look up the story of how chiropractic came about.

2 Likes

I tried so many cars/seats over the 3-4 years I had sciatica. Some were awful, others were less awful but things just kept getting bad.

Bottom line, go get minimal invasive surgery to widen the nerve canal.

I went into the hospital at 7AM, walked out when my wife picked me up round 1PM. Drove my car home from the hospital the very next day. Was at work three days later. Back to 90% normal within three weeks. I drive a lot for my business, 25k miles a year at least.

Now, three years after surgery, canā€™t believe I waited so long and tried so many remedies when I shouldā€™ve gone into surgery right away.

2 Likes

Is this the ā€œablationā€ surgery I have heard about or something else?

At one point I got desperate and tried this.

You can order fettuccini alfredo at Red Lobster.

I donā€™t recommend that either.

2 Likes

Point of reference. 1,400 miles into a trip in the X5 equipped with Multi function and seat massage and Iā€™m no worse for the wear. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

There is definitely difference from seating position - have X5 and M550 with essentially the same ā€œcomfort seatā€ but X5 is much more comfortable for long distance driving due to more upright seating position.

2 Likes

Canā€™t argue with that.

Perfect. I was wondering about that. The x5 50e is very tempting but the demand will be too strong for the foreseeable future.

Get surgery. Dealt with this for 3 years. I was relentless in my pursuit of fixing my issue through any means other than surgery. I lost 50lbs of weight just to see if it would help and that was nothing compared to the professional and diy physical therapy. Also tried eastern medicine including a very expensive old asian man who promised to fix me and several chiropractors (do not see any of these people, they made me significantly worse)
Formally educated western medicine only. If they arenā€™t looking at an MRI then run.

See a top rated ortho doc and rid yourself of back pain hell. Had my surgery almost exactly one year ago and I feel amazing.

Mine was L5/s1 and l4/l5.

Nobody can tell you what car will work because everybody is different in what triggers it.

Until then, by far the best solution is a non memory foam pillow on lumbar, a heating pad over that, and seat reclined back as far as you can. Memory foam will eventually conform and compress, youā€™re not trying to relieve pressure points like a bed, youā€™re trying to keep your back arched to take pressure off the disc.

7 Likes

I second this

I owe Dr Masson a mountain high, debt of gratitude. He made this surgery so effortless and painless. Just donā€™t waste your time with other remedies the way I did.

https://massonsi.com/surgeons-staff/dr-robert-masson

1 Like

I recently herniated a disc at the gym (2 weeks ago) and have severe right leg nerve pain.

I started rehab immediately and was told 95% chance of full heal in its own within a couple of months.

Are they lying to me because so many on this thread seem to adopted this as a chronic thing?

Did you have a laminectomy? Mine is also S1/L5. My left side nerve roots are slightly pinched, though Iā€™m betting thereā€™s a bone spur as well as I had those in both knees and one shoulder that have been surgically repaired.

More than half of herniations heal without surgery, but the highest number I ever heard from a spinal/ortho surgeon or PT Doc (actual doctor) was 60%.

I would advocate for minimally invasive if not resolved after 3-6 months, and youā€™re tried all the injections (not just epidurals). Iā€™m doing everything possible to avoid hardware in there, as long as possible.

If itā€™s your first MI back surgery, find someone who does it endoscopically for a much faster recovery.

Do all the PT and donā€™t rush back to whatever bad-for-your-back nonsense you might have been doing prior to surgery. Healing even from MI takes longer than you waited to have surgery- if you have nerve damage from a pinched nerve, those regenerate at 1mm/month.

2 Likes

I have had the issue since May 2022. I went through 16 PT sessions, 8 chiropractor sessions, and one epidural. I still have the same symptoms (pain radiates from my back to my glute to my ankle on the worst days). MRI says L5 and S1 nerve roots are constricted or something like that. Epidural provided 2 - 3 weeks of relief. PT and Chiro did nothing.

Frustration for my type A+ personality is high.

I am mobile and able to play pickleball at the 3.0 - 3.5 level (donā€™t laugh). I cannot sit for longer than 30-45 minutes without the pain getting to be difficult to tolerate.

Strongly suggest finding an interventional radiologist who will do a nerve block at L5/S1 under CT. You wonā€™t know if it worked for 10-14 days, but if it does itā€™s magical.

1 Like

I will do that. I just left a message for my primary care Dr. and will see what he says. He has the same issue so heā€™s sympathetic.

also, look into radio frequency ablation for the nerve pain.