Anyone with sciatica found a car/suv they can sit in for more than 40 minutes?

So sometime around the 12th is best? The 12th of never.

Lol.

I really hope it becomes a higher volume model because as it is theyā€™re more scarce than X6 allocations of any kind.

1 Like

Did you mean psoas muscle? :slight_smile:
If so, itā€™s located in front, attaches femur to your spine. That seems to be my problem, but no help from stretching, twice a day, and exercising.

2 Likes

As for the seats, I also got a 540i with comfort seats in hopes of relieving my pain, no dice.

In my observation, itā€™s not the seats and not the higher seating position, itā€™s the fact that BMW pedals are noticeably offset to the left to accommodate the wide transmission tunnel.

It was always my suspicion and recently I was reading a car magazine with brief descriptions of new models and there were pictures of 2 series and Civic next to each other and I think they speak for themselves:

The right leg has to be more twisted in BMW putting more stress on psoas, pelvis and spine.

P.S.

Last November I drove a base Chevrolet Aveo in Mexico for 4 days - zero pain! :smiley:

1 Like

One is a driverā€™s car and one is an appliance.

2 Likes

That and my QL are death. Massage gun helps me, and the little ball shaped massager. Also keep a lacrosse ball in the car and your laptop bag to focus on any particular muscle/ligament that is locking up.

So important. However, many times a day that you think you stretch, double it on good days and quadruple on bad days.

The Volvo leather seats are the finest. I had an xc60 and it was the best seats ever. Alleviated my back pain.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have the experience w/ the variety of cars that the folks here do (and I donā€™t have back/nerve issues), but the standard seats in the last gen C-Class (I imagine the standard seats in the current gen are prob not all that diff) and, believe it or not, my lowly Golf Sportwagen to be the only seats I can recall that donā€™t make me squirm on longer (eg., > 30 mi) trips. The Golf seats donā€™t have much support to keep you in place during more aggressive driving, though.

Mercedes, like Volvo, is famous for its seat comfort. The non-sport seats on MBs would probably be better than the sport/fancy ones (I hated seats in my 2012 C250 on longer drives).

Toyota/Lexus also does a decent job w/ seats.

1 Like

Volvo seats are fantastic - dad has gotten a bad back in the last few years and the seats in the base trim (or non r-design) models agreed with him.

I fifth or 10th or whatever we are at for Volvo, seats are very well designed. Get the ones with the adjustable thigh bolster, r design or inscription.

Def sit in the r design seats before a purchase though, I think @jeisensc mentions them being a bit aggravating to the back.

1 Like

I have also noticed a difference in comfort from the sensatec (vinyls) and true leathers. I would stick with the real think as they break into you body shape a little better. In my experience, SUV seating positions have often been more comfortable on longer drives. Finally, make sure you have decent drivers assistance as that provides you the ability to take your foot of the gas and shift around a little which can relieve pressure.

Nothing beats Volvo seats period. Theyā€™re designed by orthopedic doctors.

I recently bought a Hyundai Santa Fe that didnā€™t have passenger lumbar support (bummer), so I went out and got an aftermarket lumbar pillow called Morfit. Itā€™s better than all of that lumbar pillow Bā€™s you get on Amazon. Look into it.

4 Likes

When my sciatica flares up, it doesnā€™t really matter what Iā€™m driving.

For this condition I am a much bigger fan of cortisone epidurals than anything on the road today.

2 Likes

I had a cortisone epidural in January. Relief was only about 2 - 3 weeks vs. the 2 - 3 months I was told it would be.

I will have to sit in a Volvo I guess. I have Swedish blood in me as Iā€™m a cannibal, errr, I mean my Momā€™s side of the family came from there.

I am definitely a fan of driver assistance features. I was using the BMW driver assistance pro features on the drive from Vegas to LA. Minimum intervention required (e.g., accelerate a little faster at times). It definitely makes the drive less taxing on the body.

Again, thanks for all the replies folks. I am disappointed no one has recommended a Porsche though. I need an excuse so my wife will ā€œletā€ me get one.

1 Like

You might take a look at some of the lincolns with their multicontour seats. I think you can get them in some of the higher trim ford products as well. I had an f150 platinum for a while and the seats were great.

1 Like

They are probably the most advanced seats in the industry at the moment in terms of adjustability. Whether it will be sufficient for you or not, is a question mark .

1 Like

I drove in a GLC300 from San Antonio to Virginia.
Felt very comfortable. Btw, they were standard seats not even upgraded ones. Give it a try!

Wayyy inside baseball, but: I got almost no relief from epidurals, but nerve blocks (where they shoot the cortisone right in the disc, using CT and not floroscopy) has kept me from a third surgery.

Like the pain docs say: if you get relief in the first 2 weeks, thatā€™s the anesthetic and not the cortisone helping. I swell up like the purple girl in Willy Wonka, lose my temper for 2 weeks, and once the swelling comes down I feel great for 3-ish months.

1 Like

Sorry to hear it didnā€™t work as well for you.

Iā€™m not exaggerating when I say that I could have Pogo-sticked home from my appointment, the improvement was that instant and dramatic.

(Iā€™ve had two; the first one solved the problem for ~5 years before I went back for the second.)

Good luck with your search for relief.

1 Like