Anyone tried the Carmax 30 Day Return Policy?

Love the idea driving a car for 30 days with the possibility of returning it to Carmax. Has anyone here done that before? Is there is a catch or hidden costs?

@conanohasselhof did, I think. He’s Carmax’s VIP.

I think they hate me now. They kept shipping me beat m3s and then eating the transfer fees.

2 Likes

5-6 years ago or so we returned a car we bought from Carmax. It had mechanical issues the day after we bought it and they said it would be in the shop for an undisclosed amount of time. Despite them offering us a loaner, we told them to take it back. They did their best to talk us out of it, but the process was relatively painless.

Just make sure you read the fine print and don’t drive it too much. I’m sure if you become a repeat offender they will catch on.

1 Like

Is there another thread here we can read about this? Genuinely interested

1 Like

I don’t think there is another thread. I returned one once a few years ago. The car was advertised as having options it ended up not having, I figured that out after I purchased the car (and had it shipped across the country). They were completely understanding and it was a non issue, but I had a good reason for not wanting the car. I’d imagine regardless of reason they will not give a hard time given their policy. It’s up to you if getting a loan (if needed) going through a purchase then returning it a month later is worth it. It’s not to me, unless I have genuine interest in the car. If you get a loan you will owe interest and property tax if applicable.

I did! No questions asked

1 Like

How long did you keep it for? Did you finance the car? If so, any financing fees?

Didn’t you just recently return one after one day?

Yes but I didn’t buy it. It was a 24 hour test drive.

1 Like

It was financed I don’t remember about any fees it was 6 years ago

I’m nearly certain they are not going to pay your interest.

30 days? Just enough time to not turn in your paperwork. So a 30 day test drive?

I am not even sure what you are asking? What paperwork are you not turning in where carmax still gives you a car? At least in my case the sale was registered with the dmv and showed up on the CARFAX.

Unwinding a loan takes effort, if they don’t submit it until day 30, it’s can be easier. Though submitting to DMV is pretty definite.

I brought my own financing so i can’t say either way definitively. I would be surprised if they didn’t fund the loan for 30 days on every car they sold and financed just in case the person returns it.

Update: I went in to do the 24 hour test drive with a 2015 Porsche Panamera. Was considering the 30 day (pay with cash) but chickened out.

When I got there, the sales guys says “sorry, we don’t do the 24 hour test drive with Porsches… blah blah” I said BS and that I’ve read the rules, there is no restrictions listed on the website. About 15 min later, sales guy says the manager made an exception for me.

The return process was surprisingly easy - no sales pitch, no close examination of the car miles/gas - just asked for the keys back.

How’d you like pana? Before this craziness older ones with less than 50k miles were in the low 30s consistently. A ton of car for the money especially without the worry of a massive repair bill around the corner.

1 Like

Yeah, I got obsessed with finding a clean $30k Panamera after seeing that Doug Demuro video on it. Been crazy watching the prices rise the past few months.

Lived up to the hype, really like the drive and the steering. The 2015 interior still looks good, infotainment isn’t the best though.

1 Like