Anyone ever have a dealer complain to another dealer when you shopped a discount?

I don’t recall asking that. But, regardless, I appreciate you answering. You should certainly be open to discussing, though. Your post still doesn’t tell me what the point is. I contend that the only reason to see it is to play more games. You can beat it or you can’t. It is SO SIMPLE. No? Am I wrong? Where am I wrong?

I can definitely send an easy “no” but I’d rather dig a little deeper, do my job the right way, and see if I can help someone out. I don’t think there is any answer I can give you that will suffice or make you happy so you’re right, I’m wrong…your gorgeous, I am ugly…you’re brilliant, me dumb.

3 Likes

yup, totally what I was going for. Defensive much?

I could answer the same … my opinion as a consumer obviously means nothing to you, you brilliant salesperson you. I could point out that I appreciate simple answers from salespeople who say “wow, that’s good. I can’t cut that deep. My best would be $xx. Let me know if anything changes.” But you don’t want to hear that.

But, no, I’m really not defensive like that.

You didn’t specifically ask for it, but you did say that you didn’t understand, from the dealer’s perspective, why such a thing would be needed. Now you’re getting a dealer’s perspective as to why such a thing would be desired to help you understand the need.

1 Like

Since we’ve started talking about it. Let me ask this: is the salesperson-manager relationship typically a contentious one (like some salespeople like to pretend … you know, the old “us vs them” ploy)? I ask because I could see where, as @HondaSoCal mentioned, a salesperson wants to take a written offer to the GSM, but as a “hey, here is proof this can be done. what’s up?” Is that the kind of thing that happens? Because I have definitely met salespeople and managers who act like numbers are a foreign language and need help figuring out how to arrive at a payment. So could that be a reason for seeing the offer?

It does happen at my dealership. Salespeople want the unit and are happy with a sale whether it is a mini or not. My internet salespeople will bring deals to me that I say I am not comfortable doing but go ask the GSM to see what he says. The GSM at my spot likes when salespeople are always trying to find angles and ways to get a deal done.

I wouldn’t call the relationship contentious (usually) however the GSM is the one who has to answer to ownership when the nightly report goes out showing the sales stats for the day with each individual deal broken down.

2 Likes