Anyone ever have a dealer complain to another dealer when you shopped a discount?

I asked if a dealer could beat a discount I have elsewhere, and they asked to see the quote. I didn’t mask the other dealer name. The salesperson said it’s not worth it to them to lose that much on a car. They then called the other dealership and whined to them.

Is this normal dealership behavior?

Nope, but the exact reason I don’t share quotes that way.

4 Likes

I probably should have hidden the dealer logo, and other identifying info about the car.

Never heard of them calling to complain. Sometimes we ask which dealer because there as some dealers known for sending out BS quotes they won’t honor when you get in.

13 Likes

I would hope sales folks’ time is better spent on more productive things than chasing geese that random customers let loose in their showroom.

I could be wrong. Lately people have not been disappointing in the disappointment me department.

:bat:

8 Likes

Wouldn’t this be an anticompetitive practice?

1 Like

I doubt it was “official” since I can’t think of anyone calling another dealer to just whine about pricing. Someone at dealer A is friends with someone at dealer B and they are giving them shit. I have jokingly texted friends at other dealers telling them how big of a whore they are.

9 Likes

No because both dealers have to willingly agree to a set price. It is one thing to complain about someone pricing too low, it is highly illegal to set forth a plan or action (written or unwritten) that says we will not sell cars below a certain price.

Had this happen to me once. Salesperson at Dealer A, where we test drove but they wouldn’t give a discount, called me and said I should bring in the offer we accepted elsewhere on an inbound car because “we can beat it.” So I showed him what we had. He brought it to his SM who said “no way.” Fine. When we went to pick up the car at dealer B a week later, that SM asked me why I shopped his deal. I explained that the salesperson called us and asked us to show our deal. I just basically answered his request. But of course I had to ask how he knew, and he said SM at Dealer A called him to bitch how SM at Dealer B shouldn’t be selling it so cheap.

3 Likes

I am guessing that is precise the reason why Chevy Phil and Chevy Gal stopped listing out prices and terms for all their in stock vehicles…

I had a competitor that would basically do anything to keep customers from buying cars from my dealer, I’d always quote these known shoppers net net or loser pricing, knowing that the other dealer would match it. People out of my market but chasing the deal, they were scared to buy their car from me and try having it serviced at the other dealer. Ironically the other dealers service dept didn’t care where you bought the car, they were whores just like the sales dept, “oh here have a loaner”

4 Likes

Does seem a bit like price fixing, and/or collusion. These guys didn’t seem to be friends, though. The first dealer said “we’re not supposed to discount this car that much,” and that’s why the other guy was complaining.

This, pretty much.

A lot of times when I get a counter from a client that originates from a store I’m not friendly with I already know who’s name is attached to the sale.

3 Likes

Has been discussed many times:

• it’s all BELOW MSRP so it’s not price fixing
  • you as the consumer have more than those two dealers to buy from
  • those two dealers are not setting the pricing for all dealers

In the days of volume bonuses (RIP Feb 2020) as SMs and GSMs moved around (the very good and very bad usually don’t stay forever, or long), they all play their various games to make their territory, beat their competitors for 1-2 months, try to make a good impression to their boss, or just prove what is possible.

If they want to lose two grand on every car just to get on the map, good for the customer, momentarily aggravating for the competition, unlikely to sustain for long periods of time

3 Likes

Something being below MSRP doesn’t mean it isn’t price fixing, nor does having dealer choice.

Two non-related dealers working together to set an agreed on selling price is very much price fixing.

I don’t think this particular situation rises to that threshold of price fixing, as a dealer complaining to another dealer isn’t then agreeing on a number, but it’s certainly behavior I wouldn’t encourage if it was my dealership.

5 Likes

No, but I don’t share the dealer’s name. I just give them the number. They know if they can or want to beat it. If not, go back to the original dealer.

1 Like

Yes, definitely going to the original dealer. Thanks!

Welcome to JLR. :rofl:

1 Like

That’s the way I see it now (my story above was from a LONG time ago). I don’t need to show a quote, if it is for real. Either you can match/do better or you can’t. Simple.

It’s called leverage and if I’m asking for a written quote it’s usually because I think there might be a snowballs chance in hell I can meet or exceed it.