Anyone else throwing in the towel and buying a Tesla?

It’s actually brake, not break. I even wrote it for you.

You’re not really a car guy. They make Chargers today, lots of muscle heads driving them.

Why do you drive a BMW? Everything you listed is available in a Highlander. If we’re talking build quality and durability, I’ll take the Toyota every time.

Convenience features? My Tesla doesn’t have Android Auto or Apple Carplay. It has GOOGLE maps. I can watch Netflix, Hulu, YouTube on a 15" screen. My car updates OTA in my garage vs. dragging it into my local dealer to update software/firmware.

Wait for that BMW brake service that you’ll need prior to turning in your lease. Tell me about this thing you call “service” jazz. During the time that I’ll own my Tesla: I’ll never need an oil change. I’ll never need brake pads/rotors. I’ll need tires more often than you.

You claim your X3 is loaded. Does this mean you got that phat Harmon-Kardon sound system? Again, if you’ve actually been in a Tesla you’d know it has a sound system that easily shames everything in it’s price range.

Tesla headlights are also vastly superior to your BMW lights.

What’s that thing you carry in your pocket to start your car? LOL

Blind spot monitoring? You truly are lying about driving a Tesla, any Tesla.

This debate isn’t even fair. You know there’s this new thing called the internet. You can look up anything.

13 minutes and 12, and 13…

Apparently civility was murdered with a homophone.

Slow mode: 1hr between posts until tomorrow (please use that time to reread the title)

5 Likes

Seriously looked at a MachE with the larger battery and AWD. Couldn’t find a single one at MSRP and they are leasing for significantly over a Model Y LR AWD, so went with the Tesla

6 Likes

I’m confused. Does this thread mean we have to change the porcupine pricks joke from BMW to Tesla?

2 Likes

gricnh

4 Likes

face_first

1 Like

A BMW only has to hold up for 3 years. The build quality is excellent, as just about every owner or journalist has said or will tell you. Reliability is a different story, but this is Leasehackr. I think it’s fair to focus on the presumed initial 3-year ownership experience. Test drive a Highlander and X5 back to back. There is a very real and noticeable difference in “quality” at least as far as materials go. The X5 also feels more luxurious, which is kind of important to many people at this price point. Things like overall comfort, ride quality, and NVH are important factors. The relatively poor build quality of a Model S, perceived and actual, is very off-putting to some people and a joke given the price tag.

A current model year BMW has BMW maps AND Google maps (via AA/CarPlay). Is that a win for BMW? There’s no real difference here as far as I’m concerned. Current BMWs do have (substantial) OTA updates. They’ve added features such as wireless AA/CarPlay support, Alexa integration, and various apps like a lap timer.

Most people do not need brake service during their lease term. Some people manage to destroy their rotors and/or pads that quickly, but this is certainly not usual. At least we have dealerships with service departments and loaner cars?
Sure, you don’t need oil changes, but in the event that you need any sort of work, the turnaround time is measured in weeks and months, not hours and days as it is with most companies. No loaners. Unending delays on parts. Shady 3rd party shops. It’s an absolute joke and I think the lack of a luxury experience is a major issue at this price point. Imagine having an issue with a near or over 6-figure Model S and they tell you it’s going to take weeks or months to fix and give you some Uber credits and refer you to Enterprise. I would Uber to the nearest Porsche dealership and drive home in a Taycan. Two or three (round) trips to the dealership for oil changes or losing your sanity if something goes wrong? Easy choice for me…

The sound system in a new Model 3 for example is good from a hardware standpoint, but the abundance of glass (reflective surfaces) and poor build quality (noisy environment) significantly detract from the experience. Let’s call it even here, although I much prefer a less noisy cabin in general.

As for the “price range” comment… that’s pretty specific. What about the more expensive models? There are owners who are disappointed with the sound quality of their X/S. I’m not an expert on Tesla, but the sentiment is there.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/sound-system-quality.161540/

Headlights? Really? Any modern LED headlights are perfectly adequate. Maybe some people really care about this, but I care more about how the headlights look than how they function (assuming they are LED). BMWs had adaptive headlights first (that turn and with high beam assist, not just automatic)… does that count as a win? The 3 and Y just recently got adaptive headlights? I don’t see any evidence that they turn, though. https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/the-new-tesla-model-3-y-adaptive-headlights
Feel free to elaborate how either:

• the best Tesla headlights are superior to the best BMW headlights today
  • or the current top trim on a comparable model is better, e.g. 3 series vs Model 3.

Carrying keys isn’t an inconvenience to many people, and I’m usually carrying other keys as well…? At least we can’t get locked out of our cars because an app goes down. Also, we have the option to use a key card or app as well.

Teslas have blind spot detection, but it works differently compared to well, every other car. I personally don’t understand why it’s not implemented in the ‘usual’ way, i.e. warning lights on the mirrors and audio cues. Many owners complain that it’s not implemented well. See this thread for example: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-y-no-blind-spot-warning.194299/

For the record, I’m not anti-Tesla. I just can’t stand the cult-like following that espouses a mentality that Tesla can do no wrong because of what, the CEO being active on Twitter? Wrong is wrong and right is right. They do some things well and get some things wrong, just like every company. People wouldn’t rag on Tesla build quality and such to this extent if there weren’t real issues. People wouldn’t praise Porsche this and Porsche that if they made a $30k shitbox. (They would say Porsche this and that except that one model.)

What you like is subjective. Opinions can be wrong, but if you stop at “I like X,” there’s no argument to be had. Apparently, not liking Tesla is a hate crime.

8 Likes

I’m a car guy, acutely aware of BMW features. My wife’s last three vehicles were BMWs. My last two were Volvos. I’ve been a BMWCCA member for over 20 years. We have '19 & '20 BMW motorcycles in our garage. There’s no other motorcycle that interests me in the least right now.

My experience with Tesla has been since June 1, 2021. In that short 49 days our Tesla has far outshined every other car we have ever owned/leased.

What every other legacy manufacturer is doing is exactly what will be their demise. Tesla was built from day 1 to be electric.

I’m not going to respond do every one of your bullet points. If you haven’t spent some time driving/riding in a Tesla, you are just plain wrong.

Remember when any non-Tesla EV could recharge at Tesla’s Level 3 Supercharger network? Yeah, me neither.

One can pull the actual performance data on headlights here to compare the performance of the two.

If we look at the model Y, the headlights were updated at the beginning of this year.

For 2021, the IIHS headlight performance map is as follows:

Prior to 2021, it was this:

Both are decent performers with some below optimal illumination on the driver side of the road. 2021 improved that a bit, but pulled light back straight ahead.

Neither variants were offered with any sort of steering capability.

For 2021, the X3 offers two headlight configurations. The upgraded light is here:

The base model here:

Both are available with adaptive steering lights.

The upgraded lights outperform both variants of the tesla lights.
The base model lights perform somewhat similar to the 2021 model y lights, are benefited by adaptive steering but with some reduced lighting directly ahead and do not have high beam assist.

Based on that actual data, the tesla headlights available on the model y are inferior to the optional headlights on the x3, but better than the base model ones in some regards and worse in others.

7 Likes

Thank you for looking into and sharing this information. Now that I’ve seen it, I’m somewhat curious how the headlights on the new BMW models compare (e.g. 2021 M3/M4, 2022 X3 LCI). The data isn’t available yet, though.

When this is how you respond to someone providing counter-points to every sentence in your previous post… I think that says enough is enough.

3 Likes

Not to continue off topic here, but my mothers 2000 Honda Odyssey actually drove remarkably well. I’ve driven sports sedans with less precision steering feel. Torquey V6. I mean it was also a family bus, but it was not unpleasant. 21-years later, my mother wants another Odyssey. I don’t blame her.

1 Like

I have a model 3 standard range + about 2.5 years old. The battery degradation which you are talking about is nothing but a glimpse of your driving pattern. So if you charge to the “recommended” 90 % charge and you see that you are not getting up to the number you used to get during your first few months of ownership - it is simply that the car learned your driving habits. A simple trick is just switch the miles of range to “percentage” instead and you will see that it is a much accurate representation of battery charge compared to the miles displayed.

1 Like

I’ve considered a Model 3 SR+ on and off since they came out.

Ultimately decided I wanted to lease and with all the cheap lease deal options (Bolt, Ioniq, LEAF), wasn’t too hard to justify keeping 3 cars. An ICE manual coupe for weekends, the LEAF and the wife’s SUV.

I think if I went with the 3 SR+, I probably would have talked myself into selling the RSX-S and probably regretted that.

5 Likes

I think OP’s impetus is that Tesla is selling at MSRP so it wouldn’t seem to be overpaying like other cars. But others have said the MSRP is a moving target.

4 Likes

Just BUY the darn TESLA and don’t ever listen to what “some” tesla-haters say on LH-then give them that TOWEL to wipe off their drools :crazy_face:

I bought a 2020 Tesla M3 SR+ last September and leased a 2020 BOLT this February… You will never compare the two-ever, if you’re a sane person that is… specially, charging the two cars is very very different, even on EvGo Fast charger Tesla out-charges the BOLT and then some! Not to speak SUPERCHARGER times!!!

Have you ever seen a Tesla ad, anywhere??? What the “peasants” are paying for is for advertising… same reason why ROLEX watches are overpriced-YOU pay for their advertising

Wait, BSM??? What the heck-are we living in the neanderthal times still, BSM is what you use on horses so they don’t get spooked, not cars-plus Tesla don’t need them as they are quicker than ANY BSM car :upside_down_face:

Coming from owning mostly muscle cars, sports cars (Hellcat, SRT, Corvette, Mustang, MBZ etc) bar none-tech wise TESLA is years ahead of anything out on these crappy roads anyway. Let the LUXURY FANBOYS drool over their “luxury” interiors or exteriors…me personally do not consider any other vehicle as “luxury” other than Maybach’s, Bugatti’s, RR etc

I don’t care what I drive, but do appreciate great tech and craftsmanship-we all have different tastes otherwise we would all be miserably the same, and if that doesn’t resonate-then nothing will

Thanks to these United States-and let the games begin: :trophy:

6 Likes

Can you elaborate please, as I am one of those luxury car consumers considering a Tesla.

1 Like

The tesla range guess o meter does not factor in driving habits. It purely looks at state of charge and multiplies it by the epa rated range. If you’re charging to full and seeing a reduction in range, that’s because “full” is no longer “full”.

But don’t take my word for it… straight from the horse’s mouth:

3 Likes

“To see estimated range based on personalized energy consumption, open the Energy app”

1 Like

Yes, diving into the energy app will provide more information, however, the range display in the main dash that can be toggled between range and percentage, as was being discussed, does not. Of course, we could get into the discussion as to why it is that Tesla has the energy app calculate a more accurate range based on driving habits and chooses instead to display in the dash a range based on the EPA rating.

Also, there’s significant data available that shows that the batteries do degrade and range goes down. That’s the case with all EVs. It’s a reality of the current battery chemistry being used. Hell, Tesla allows for a 30% reduction in battery capacity before it triggers a warranty repair.

3 Likes

Tobacco companies advertise AGAINST their products, and people still buy them. By your logic smoking is awesome!

End of the day I don’t know why I get riled up against Tesla cult members as there is nothing anyone can say or data anyone can present that will make any of you think for 2 seconds. Somehow it always degrades to name calling, moving goal posts, excessive emoticon and “lulz” language, and foaming at the mouth defense of a product like it’s their baby.