Anyone else throwing in the towel and buying a Tesla?

That was a market rate carrier problem, like griddy.

As EV owners, our average usage varies between 2-3.5 MWh/month. And for the record our electric and gas never went down, not even a blip.

Do you know how much of that is EV charging? And you have 2 right?

1 Like

You can figure out the cost to charge your car by multiplying your electricity cost by the battery size. If you pay 10 cents a kw, and have a 70 kw battery, it will cost about 7 dollars to fill it up. The 2021 model 3’s biggest battery is 82kw. So at 10 cents a kw, you’ll get about 350 miles of range (likely less because it’s Tesla) for about 8 dollars and 20 cents. So an ev is much cheaper to operate if you’re charging at home compared to gas cars.

1 Like

Don’t forget to add about 10% more power for charging losses.

2 Likes

Please, for the love of god, can people stop calling a Model 3 as M3. I’m on neither side of the debate but this gets me riled up every single time. Had to read this post three times to really understand it the right way. Coming off as bit too harsh I know but just trying to be honest :slight_smile:

8 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

@njc If you are going to antagonize the murder-hornets :alien::honeybee::japanese_ogre:, please do so in your own yard. The last question was on topic, this isn’t.

In the winter, it’s even higher than 10 percent up north. However, you can make a decent guess on the actual cost.

I don’t know which ICE car OP was trying to get, but as for price, it maybe true that Tesla can be a better deal because the ICE car OP want is heavily marked up.

Eg. RAV4 Prime XSE have mark up between $5K-$10K.

Everything seems marked up…including the evs especially since gas got over $4/gal and people are pilling in. There is alot of free charging (especially work) in SoCal so one can easily save $150 per month with any of the available evs. Apparently some see that as a green light to bid up the ev inventory…it will be hard to replace 2 this year.

Indeed.

I was just confused by the first response in this thread, which said:

But for some ICE car, it is no longer full sticker… it’s over sticker. AFAIK, with Tesla, you still buy at sticker. I don’t own Tesla, so I may be wrong…

What’s the difference between paying over MSRP with another brand vs Tesla increasing their MSRP?

8 Likes

Tesla prices have fluctuated. For example, while the three is 3000 more than February, it’s the same price as the spring of 2019.

Car prices for virtually every manufacturer have only gone up. Tesla is the only one I can think of that has gone up and down.

1 Like

2021 Bolt MSRP have dropped versus 2020’s MSRP, but of course they’ve robbed Peter to Pay Paul with the incentives, but you get some nice upgrades to interior, exterior and tech for lower MSRP. I suppose others find, like me, that the premise of ‘throwing in the towel’ to pay Tesla MSRP (which fluctuates) is simply a false premise. One has to have a predilection towards Tesla to even consider one to begin with. I could start an equally contentious thread titled ‘Anyone Else Throwing in the Towel and buying a Wrangler 4xE?’, and we could spend days picking nits on that one too. (edit, alas, I would be run off the forum to start another 4xE thread…)

1 Like

So you are saying all other cars never get discounted or have incentives? :man_facepalming: What’s the point of this site then?

1 Like

Not for a Tesla but maybe pickup a Leaf for $27-$28k and after the $7,500 and $1,500 rebates drive it for a bit and sell it back for high teens or something if lucky.

Other thing that sucks is paying all that sales tax on the purchase price!

Well, until they raised the price again a few days ago, at least on some of them…

The prices of all the cars go up and down. The only difference is tesla changes the msrp and other manufacturers change the incentives.

2 Likes

EV charging won’t be free in years to come…it isn’t exactly free NOW. And tax rebates will be long gone. This is just the incentive for people to switch to EV now. I saw a video online of a guy charging his KONA at a public charging station. . He charged it 80% and it had cost him approximately $28.00. Took 54 minutes to charge. Now not for nothing I could get 3/4 tank of gas in 2 and minutes and be on my way for 28 bucks.

2 Likes

This thread is now a recreation of groundhog day. There is literally this exact conversation 9 days ago just phrased slightly differently.

1 Like

True, although there was another tesla msrp price increase since last time.

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

Again: stay on topic