Anyone decide to purchase a car instead?

LOL I’m sure that won’t take much effort at all. I’ve accidentally squawked them pulling away from the gas pump (after fueling the first time). Gas a bit more sensitive than my Camaro SS had…

Historically the price it was the day you ordered it.

Should be fine. USA = Payment culture. 120 month loans here we come!

The year is 2035, you drive by an ad that reads “Bundle your auto and home loan for a 15 year fixed rate”, you shrug as you drive your Chevy Equinox purchased with a 10 year loan.

2 Likes

Fixed that for ya

4 Likes

Wolf Grey?!

My lease isn’t up yet so don’t need to rush with that but current prices definitely would do that.

For looking to take over someone lease in swapalease in somewhat reasonable pre-covid numbers:)

Not buying yet but finally decided to flip my purchased car. With return to office officially delayed into at least October and Carvana offering 26k for a three year old Accord, wife and I figured we could go down to one car for a while (and Honda can’t tell me not to sell to third party :partying_face:).

Come return to office if things haven’t improved will probably buy another family sedan. That’s the one market where prices aren’t crazy and inventory remains pretty good. For some reason few want an Accord or Camry new but they hold their value well used. If you can keep the Carfax clean they end up being a real cheap 2-3 year option.

Gonna be a much tougher decision if increased federal EV credits get passed and go into effect 1/1/2021. If they do, a model 3 build similar to what you have above looks real good assuming I can get it in before the MSRP goes way up.

4 Likes

One thing making purchasing more interesting going forward is the emergence of Carvana, Vroom, Enterprise and the other online car buying services. I can’t see how people are paying Carvana prices, but I really don’t see it going away even after inventory returns to normal. The commercials and marketing of dealers and against the bogus fees is quite clever and resonates with a growing set of millenial, female and other customers that tremble at the thought of ever walking into a dealership to purchase a vehicle. IMO, Tesla and Carvana have changed car buying forever.

The ability to get instant quotes (to leverage against dealer low-ball trade in values after negotiating a purchase price and offsetting potential sales tax advantage) and to sell without the hassle of dealing with the general public is a welcome development. Selling used Hondas and Toyotas is easy, but now selling everything else and getting easy, in-hand, instant dealer competing trade-in quotes as leverage is a lot easier too.

3 Likes

Bravo sir… I think you missed the entire point… Getting rid of used vehicles other than taking the dealer’s low-ball price was a time consuming (and in some cases dangerous with test drives and the need to vet potential buyers) headache. Now there is another easy button option…

Like it or not, Tesla and Carvana/Vroom, et. al. are changing the new and used car buying process for millions of new and used car buyers.

1 Like

Just added a 2021 Forester Limited to the family.
Paid MSRP $35,xxx + a non-negotiable paint protection add-on ($995) and the tire and wheel protection ($700).

Sold a 2015 Impreza Premium hatchback with 52k miles to CarMax for $13,200. Purchase price was $19,500 as a used car with 8k miles in 2015.

Bought a leftover/unleasable 2020 V60 back in April to replace our leased CX5. Carvana gave me $3100 in equity on the Mazda and I got ~18% off MSRP on the Volvo with no hassle. I love the Volvo’s styling and it was the cheapest advertised unit with Pilot Assist west of the Rockies, sitting 20min from my house.

1 Like

I was told by Tesla CS the rebate is secured when you place the order. Even if you put your order on hold, you still get the rebate when you pick up the car. I wonder how accurate is it

im not there yet but there are a handful of older cars I’ve always wanted (First gen Miata, Z3 etc) that are not THAT inflated in price but I just can’t get myself to volunteer for the ongoing repair headaches. I’m too much of a always-under-warranty-leased-car–slut

1 Like

I am planning to buy my 2018 Lexus ES next month. I am basically flushing the NY state tax down the toilet, but I should still have equity when it’s time to sell.

CarMax has been public since 1997 and had it’s first profitable quarter in 1999. It’s not a start up anymore. It’s possible to make it work. Sure Carvana and Vroom are paying a little more for cars than CarMax but not much. How many players can the market support is another question.

But these places have two things going for them. 1 car dealerships keep doing business the old way and 2. too many people still think you are better off buying a used car that someone else has taken the depreciation on.

2 Likes

Nationwide coverage.

1 Like

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

Can you elaborate on why you’re NOT better off buying a used car that someone else has taken the depreciation on? Thanks.

Yeah I should have been more specific. Nothing wrong with buying a used car someone took a big depreciation hit on. But the key is paying a lot less than you would to buy new.

For the car I am selling back to Carvana next week, pretax, they are giving me about 93% of what I paid for the car new. So they almost certainly have to sell it for more than I paid new or make money on the backend with an inflated APR. Obviously market is hot now but for family sedans someone could get a fairly comparable new car for the same price they are gonna pay Carvana for my three year old car.

And this is a theme at Carvana and CarMax. reliable late model cars with clean Carfax sell for pretty close to what a new model, with a little haggling, would go for. Especially as cars add ever more electronics, I wouldn’t give up the benefit of a full warranty, plus knowing that my car is brand new to save 10% or 20%.

3 Likes