Any "young" buyers have an issue with not being taken seriously?

Hey it’s end or month. Everything I had in the pipe is signed or in the mail, so I took last night and this morning away from my phone.

My cents? I’m taken seriously by speaking professionally, knowing my numbers, not saying my age, corresponding via email/phone/text, and being serious. It’s why I’m infamous on here :slight_smile: . But other than that, be polite, don’t waste their time, dealers take me seriously, some haven’t but that’s the way the ball falls.

@nextlevelautobrokers you monster, get him Seiko 5 or Boston will be utterly crushed.

1 Like

Ok i posted my etron “deal” Now you can’t accuse me of being a flim flam

Real clowns know that Procurement handles such things, and most clown cars don’t come off a car lot, they’re built by Hagenbeck-Wallace.

As you can tell it’s common. Good salespeople know any slob can be a buyer, but they aren’t always the best at typecasting who is in front of them.

A buddy who does F&I for RR has a 22 yo enlisted military come in on a nice (not insane RR sport) in jeans and a tee: turns out he had millions in investment real estate he owned with family. Never know. :man_shrugging:t2:

Only new money lacks confidence enough to adorn LVMH products as if it implies wealth. Often the guy with the Accord-priced watch is just test driving too.

This was/is common, too common. Unless it’s a birthday STI, most often test drivers are steered to a WRX first. When EVO was hot same for Lancer one-down. How I got my WRX was (in 2004) I did everything online first, drove it, signed for the deal. I was in a (financed new) 2-yo honda accord in my early 20s.

Don’t let how someone sees you get between you and the deal, move on to another dealer, speak to the SM and ask for someone else who wants to take you seriously.

If you have never met the owner of a car dealer, I suppose you haven’t seen how a 20-something can act when they literally own the place. Something you might want to try on.

No, I think salesmen nowadays are just mainly cocky and don’t take anyone seriously tbh.

The reality is usually the salesmen are complete idiots and just read from a script or relay what their deal manager tells them. And the desk manager is extremely arrogant because he is a “manager@ even tho if he was actually really good at selling cars he would make more as. A good salesmen.

Also luxury dealers aren’t used to people working deals. They think if you have money, you should not negotiate.

And of course there are exceptions to all this but generally this is what I’ve seen

I’m 28. And generally I don’t get treated with any respect or seriousness until they see the 800+ credit score

Thanks for the advice!

1. You claim we’re the idiots but you’re the one that can’t even properly type a single sentence lmao

2. Managers almost always make more than the best salesperson (with a few exceptions). Nobody makes it to the desk without being the best salesperson, and usually the best in F&I. Failed salespeople don’t become managers, they become real estate agents.

3. We fully expect people with money to negotiate. It’s normal.

4. Score is meaningless.

As I stated previously, I’m 20 and when I was 18/19 in sales I hated upping younger people. I personally would avoid anyone under 25. Unrealistic expectations from being a first time buyer and general lack of auto credit made it a waste 90% of the time.

5 Likes

I forgot about your background :smile:

2 Likes

Email the internet team and explain that while you’re young you have established credit, have been in good standing with your previous captive lender, and are able to put a bit of money down if needed to get approved.

*Edit - who wants a customer for life because they helped someone when they were young? Everyone.

4 Likes

If you are young, dress up a bit more, look the part.

1 Like

wait, how are you a SM at only 20 years old? I thought it takes good # of years to get there.

In 2015 I was thinking of buying the new Mustang GT. I was 40, pulling up in a 5yo Porsche, and they knew I could easily afford it based on where I worked. I could not get a test drive and ultimately gave up.

Dealers may think a buyer should just know what they want but I didn’t know if I’d like it. When a car is hot the dealers have no incentive to let you test drive. Guess I’ll never buy the hot model.

You’re correct, I’m an anomaly. I sold my soul to the automotive industry at 16 years of age and been grinding ever since.

7 Likes

Me and my wife were 24/23 when we got our first Bmw , and now 25/24 and Have leased 3 in that time frame. Currently shopping a 7 series and I have not experienced any “disrespect” or not being taken seriously. I always go to a nearby dealer to test drive a car before pursuing it and have never had that problem. It may just be a region thing

1 Like

You have to ask your wife for the secret formula of not aging. That’s more of interest here.

8 Likes

I was pricing BMW 4 series a few year back when I was maybe 24/25. The salesperson at one point told me it was nice my parents were helping me buy such a nice car…which I corrected her on…then she recommended I look at the 2 series as they are more affordable.

Moral of the story…I bought an Audi.

2 Likes

Many, not all, are also just lazy I have found. The good thing about being “in the know” when it comes to the car you are pursuing is that you often can just bypass the salesperson and go right to the manager.

1 Like

Lol I meant she turned 24 and I 25 lolllllll

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Email the sales or general manager about the specific unit(s) you’re interested in test driving and discussing deal structures on. No excess of product knowledge or wealth/appearance or wealth you bring to the table will result in a favorable (for you) deal by just walking into the dealer, ever

Edit: I love this thread and site so much man lol

2 Likes

I find it easy to tell if a younger person is there for a joy ride or actually shopping (same thing with older people looking at M cars). I don’t care so much if it is a 3/5/X3/X5, but anything with some serious horsepower I start to question their motives. Typically when I tell them we don’t test drive M2/3/etc car, I get two reactions. If they act aggressively (i.e. how can I ever buy a car without test driving, raise their voice, etc), they are probably not serious since they are being called on their BS. If they act in an understanding manner, they will typically get a test drive. The goal is to limit the miles and any potential damage to those cars.

It also depends on if the first words out of their mouth. If they come in and just want a test drive, they typically are a stroke. But if they want some more info (packages, horsepower, availability), they are more likely to be serious.

3 Likes