Any "young" buyers have an issue with not being taken seriously?

It’s going to depend on the dealer and salesman. I’m low 30s and could pass as straight out of college. It’s taken awhile for me to get a salesman in person before at a few luxury dealers (our audi dealer is terrible and most audis on the street here are from another dealer 1.5 hrs away). Some places they will all go straight for middle aged or older people / couples. Although I only ever go in to test drive for the most part. You should work your deals through email / phone. I’ve never had any issues getting the key to a car though.

I’m 20 and I hated upping younger people when I was in sales. Often times they have unrealistic expectations and insufficient credit history to get approved. Whole thing was usually a waste of time.

2 Likes

That’s all I’m saying lol, guy thinks because the dealership wouldn’t let him test drive a low allocation vehicle that they prejudiced against his age… and then gets mad at me for giving perspective on a dealer?

1 Like

Start wearing an $30k Rolex, Ferragamo boat shoes, maybe a nice big “H” Hermes belt.

Problem solved!

12 Likes

I could explain it to you all day but you are stuck in the “victim” mentality, if you wanted to test drive one go find a used one, chances are very high they won’t let you test drive a new one.

I’m not sure what raptor groups you are on but go to the f150forum and ask the same question, you will get the same response as mine, they weren’t and some dealers still aren’t test driving the truck.

At the end of the day it’s still a 75k truck, people buy gtrs, turbo S, and other exotics without driving them, sometimes not even looking at them and some of those cars are well over 250k. I think that argument is baseless, if you know what you’re getting out of the vehicle then you know what to expect, which is what dealers expect buyers of a specialty truck to do. Whether they are right or wrong I can’t tell you.

What I can tell you is that you jumped on the thread like you have some kind of chip on your shoulder because a dealer wouldn’t let you drive a raptor…

1 Like

Just take a briefcase of 60k in 10’s and start throwing fistfuls of notes at salesmen yelling, “is this what you want? Take it! Now give me my test drive!”

1 Like

Exactly what @j_e_f_f said. This behavior is not exclusive to car dealerships. You can tout credit history, ability to make payments, hell maybe even buy the truck out right. It sucks, just move on.

Does not work can confirm.

rs_560x314-151117125934-jazzy-jeff

Yeah that’s true, I agree with the statement.

1 Like

Only time this happened to me was when an Acura dealership in CT wouldn’t let me test drive a car (an ILX Hybrid at that!) when I was with my dad.

When I bought my (off-lease/CPO) Lexus GS350 when I was 21, the dealership sales person was professional, but obvious that he thought that I was out for a joyride, particularly when I floored the car on the onramp onto the highway (and since I had VA plates/license and the dealership was in CT). Bought the car and took delivery a few hours later :slight_smile:

Luxury car dealers in the DC metro area gave me no issues as well (and usually let me take the car out on my own). When I was window shopping at a Porsche dealership and looking at a $120k Cayenne, sales person was insisting that I test drive the car (I was maybe 20 at the time?). Probably has to do with the fact that I mentioned where I was a student at the time, and a ton of international college kids from my particular school buy $100k+ cars cash every September… Would’ve taken them up on their offer, but the car was in the showroom and I knew very well that I probably couldn’t have been able to buy a Porsche branded pen at the time, let alone a Cayenne :rofl:

1 Like

A long time ago, Ford was offering a $25 visa card to anyone who came in for a test drive. I was 17 and I absolutely loved the Crown Victoria. I went into the showroom, and I told them that I am here for the offer and that I want to drive the Crown Vic. The salesman said “surely you want to drive the Mustang?!” I said no way I am here for the Crown Victoria. And then he said “I have all of these different models. You can pick any of them.” I said I want the Crown Vic. He then said “look kid I can just give you the $25”.

Salespeople and their prejudices!

1 Like

Happens to me almost every single time I’ve gone looking for a car. Walked in to look at a Mini, the sales person looked up from her desk, did the ‘looking me head to toe’ thing, then went back to working on her computer. Didnt even say hi. A few min later an older couple walked in, she jumped up to help them. Went to look at a WRX STI and the dealer told me flat out to test drive it, I’d have to buy it. The look on that guys face as i walked out the door and got into my E550 was priceless.

I’m still waiting for that rose gold Daytona you promised me

1 Like

And now another good reason to add to the “Don’t step inside a dealer before negotiating a great deal” :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I was going to surprise you on our anniversary
way to ruin it…now u get a swatch!

Test drives are overrated. Don’t think I have test driven a car since… can’t even remember when. When you know, you know!

I am located in NJ/PA area

Back in the day, shortly after college graduation I went in to look at a Lexus SC 300 for my fiance. I couldn’t get anyone to help me. I was persistent and finally got a salesperson. The guy was a total JA and wouldn’t even let me start the car. Went down to the BMW dealership and they treated me right. Bought her a brand new 3-series convertible. Waited for the first really nice day, dropped the top and drove to the Lexus dealership and the sales guys were hanging outside smoking cigs. Sat in the car and asked if “Mike” was around…they went in an got him…dude walks out and kind of stares at me as it’s all processing through his mind. I asked if he remembered me and once he acknowledged he did, I flew him the bird and suggested he find another line of work and drove off.

It was petty of me, but it’s 20+ years later and I can still remember it like it was yesterday and it makes me smile!

3 Likes

Im sorry but in sales world it happens all the time! I sold designer shoes for living(covid messed it up) and you will not believe how many 12-16 years come here to try designer shoes just for their “GRAM” And while you helping their ‘flex’ im actually losing a potential sale by not helping people who is really here to buy!

4 Likes

Nah, not true. Just ask our high school boy @HersheySweet (who is suspiciously absent from this thread). Just tell them you are shopping for your wealthy dad lol

5 Likes

No wonder

1 Like