Any VacationHackrs?

I generally get about 0.33-0.5 cpp for Hilton redemptions.

I’m using Hilton points for a stay this weekend and the redemption is at the very high end of that.

What have you been getting @Lvs23 ?

1 Like

I get great return at 5 star resorts in Southern California with Hilton points. 95k points for a $1000 room on a weekend in the middle of the summer. Hard to beat that.

3 Likes

I’m exaggerating but that’s how I feel about it

1 Like

I haven’t stayed in high end hotel since the kinds were born😂
We usually have booked stays with kitchen which limits us to Hampton Inns and the likes. Plus a lot of higher end hotels can’t fit 5 people in 1 room.

So for such properties booking 5 days and getting 5th for free I’m getting between 0.75c and 1c redemptions.

1 Like

That’s a really good redemption rate.

Normally when I redeem points at Hilton its because there’s a Hilton location in close proximity to somewhere I need/want to be… and proximity is more important to me than which brand.

This weekend is no different. I’m staying at a Doubletree. There were several more luxurious options from which to choose, but I picked this one strictly because of the location.

2 Likes

*fixed it for you

1 Like

Sheesh… you can fly to the Maldives in Business on Qatar for 70k

1 Like

Domestic tickets are ridiculous for summer travel, in general, IMO. I’m looking into flying to Vegas early fall for my son’s birthday (going to Zion), and the prices are nearly double what I’m used to seeing. Rental vehicles are about the same story, not that I am surprised.

1 Like

Thanks for this (I think)! Now I’m contemplating where I need to fly internationally. :laughing:

2 Likes

I fly 3 or 4 times a month, and I recently decided to just book everything through mid-August, and not just because of pricing.

Seat availability is also a problem.

I’ve been accustomed to only booking 1-3 weeks out, and really miss the days where this wasn’t impractical / exorbitantly expensive.

GO!

You are correct, again. Sometimes you’re lucky to get on the preferred flight, let alone accept the pricing. I had read several times (I don’t recall where now) that travel is expected to see a substantial increase, particularly going into summer. I think the lifting of the mask requirement alone (on flights) is enough encouragement for many to really travel again.

I’m not certain where I would consider going. I’ve already gone to Mexico & St. Lucia for this year. After my planned Italy trip was cancelled (June '19), I’m still a bit bitter with putting all of the effort in again. :rofl: That was a multi-destination trip, and I looked forward to hiking the Dolomites for months.

1 Like

I booked tix for a cross country trip about 5 months out for this August…usually don’t book till about 3 months out, but was concerned about flight availability, so booked extra early this time. The same exact tix now cost double what I paid and we’re still 2.5 months out from the date of travel. I usually only saw prices this high a couple of weeks out, not 2 MONTHS. It’s insanity!

Yep. My St Lucia trip I had booked last year… Most of this year, the flights were 50-60% higher and the resort price more than doubled.

Side question - does anyone else have difficulty using points and/or miles? In terms of I enjoy collecting them, versus discounting my travel? (the non-expiring, of course) :man_shrugging: :laughing: Or am I alone here… LOL I keep telling myself I will use them on BIG trips, but I’ve yet to use more than small crumbs here and there.

I have an Alaska Air rewards credit card. Every year, they issue a “companion ticket” where if I book 1 ticket at regular prices, I can book a 2nd “companion” ticket for just $100 plus ~$20 in fees. So to maximize value, it’s best to use the companion offer on R/T tickets to the opposite coast.
HOWEVER, the booking must be for exactly 2 people and only 2 people to cash in the offer. Since my family consists of 4 people, whenever I use the companion offer, I have to make 2 separate reservations (1 adult + 1 kid) and use the companion offer on one of the bookings instead of being able to book all 4 tix at the same time and apply the discount. Seems like a needless extra hoop to jump through (though I guess making it slightly harder to use the discount means fewer people that use it).

At lot easier to use for BIG trips when you are flexible on time/destination and just two of you.
We did a lot of that on points before kids but also 5-7 years ago the game was a lot easier and less hoops to jump through.

This days I use them to get hotels and flights but have to book like Wen/Thu outbound and something similar for the return. Although trip to San Diego is Sat to Sat.

But I wasn’t able to find a good hack for car rentals except for using Chase points and their portal.

1 Like

Not necessarily FOR travel, but I found this offer to bit quite unusual. Typically with Chase, your highest yield comes from booking (travel) through the Chase Portal. With this offer, the same value would transfer to Apple products…

I’m sitting back-of-plane, center-seat economy tomorrow for probably the first time ever (I hardly fly coach, and if I do, I never have had issues getting a window or aisle) and I’m dreading it so much.

3 Likes

Enjoy your trip!

I’m patiently(?) wondering if my SWU is going to go through for my trip tomorrow.

Suddenly I’m not the only person traveling. :slight_smile:

Get all the travel in before the next lockdown due to monkeypox😂

3 Likes