Any finance deals out there? Looking for car for teen driver

Hi everyone, we’re looking to finance/purchase a car for a teen driver. Leases seem really bad these days, and certified pre-own cars cost almost as much as a brand new car.

We’re looking for something dependable & reliable, and doesn’t cost a ton. Some of the cars we’re looking at are Honda Civic, Hyundai Elentra, and Subaru Imprezza. Any other cars we should also look at?

For those cars, what % off of MSRP should we realistically be looking at (if any). We understand the days of expecting 10-15% off of MSRP is probably gone for now.

Thanks for your feedback!

I have toyota at msrp in your region if you decide on that.

You are looking at about $350 / month for a car, and add that it’s a teen add 125% to the insurance cost.

Get them a nice beater for about 10k your payments will be nicer and your insurance costs will be low.

3 Likes

Those are good choices along with Toyota Corolla and Kia Forte.

2 Likes

damn when I was a teen I got an old busted Volvo that barely cranked over

6 Likes

We’ve discussed leasing a car for teen drives quite a bit, and bottomline is usually :

• total cost utility over the term
  • risk of diminished value belongs to the bank, not you

Unless you’re looking at Frontier, nothing fits that bill

Which is why you looked at a CPO, but that has downsides:

• in this market where used car prices are showing they may have hit the ceiling and bounced, you’re buying near the top
  • you own/finance all that downside risk

new / cpo cars plus a new driver = high insurance

As someone who bought their own 10 year old Civic at 17 and paid their own insurance:

• there are still good, sub-$5k used cars (all the names mentioned), lots after 2008 that are safe
  • your teen will ding them up
  • having and using AAA builds character (and is no less embarrassing than calling to tow your brand new car in)

I wouldn’t buy my hypothetical kid a car, but if I did it’s a late model / reliable / safe used car. they can still drive it like its stolen, blast their music, use their mind altering substances of choice, and make sexy-time in the back seat.

5 Likes

man all those scenarios bring back memories of that Volvo, what a good car

OP: chances are your kids are gonna crash their first car at some point. Almost every teen universally has some hiccup whether it’s backing into a spot, trying to parallel park, tiktoking and driving, etc.

2 Likes

When I was a teen, I had a beat up 20 year old Nissan. Times had changed.

1 Like

If this was a few years ago, we would definitely be looking at used cars. But the market for decent used cars these days are just outrageous. The $$ they’re asking for used cars is just not worth it.

And we hate to buy a really beat up car and then having to deal with spending extra $ just to fix up things here and there, and having to deal with no car while it’s in the shop.

So yes, while a new car would cost more; it just might save us some headaches.

1 Like

If you think that over the course of three years, the total cost of ownership of a 10-year-old Japanese car is going to anywhere near approach the cost of a three year old one, you might as well buy them a BMW, you’ve already talked yourself out of your own premise here

2 Likes

1972 Corolla for $600 cash in 1982. Bondo’d top since it had rolled once. Guy I sold it to rolled it to its death in 1992 in New Hampshire. 2TC engine, had to replace wiring harness a few times, so spent time I was supposed to be studying, in pull yards looking for parts.

3 Likes

We seem to have a never ending stream of teens getting their license in my extended family. Our secret weapon has been that my 80 year old mother lives in a senior only complex. Every month someone there dies or can no longer drive and we’ve picked up numerous cars that way. Typically a 10 year old Honda Accord or Toyota Camry with under 35,000 miles. I will say that every teen driving those cars has hit something…mailboxes, boats, other cars, shopping cart corrals, flag poles, etc.

5 Likes

Listen to the really good advice you are being given in this thread. :slight_smile: I have put 3 kids into cars in the last 5 years. It is not pretty. Bottom line is each got into minor scrapes, in some cases more than one. In a lease, or a newer car, you will be paying for those “incidents”. Get something safe, cheap and easily insured.

3 Likes

You were lucky.

I had a 89 Chevy Caprice as a teen in the mid 90’s.
I think my dad paid under $1k for it at the time.

Ran great and had ice cold A/C

1 Like

Once was a retired Crown Vic Interceptor
Those have been replaced by the Tahoe PPV
Here is a nice one
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=37&acctid=3638

2 Likes

I miss $2-400 running and driving cash cars. Lol.

1 Like

How old are you again? Haha

2 Likes

He was born in 1894

Am I the only person who didn’t get a car when they were a teenager? Until 21, I took the bus until I was able to buy my own care. And yes, IT WAS, a mile walk to the bus stop.

Like the other posters said, there’s plenty of reasons why you shouldn’t buy a teenager a new car. It spoils them - it really does. Insurance companies don’t charge those high premiums for nothing - teenagers get into a ton of accidents.

Have you seriously calculated the cost of Ubers compared with payments, insurance, and gas? Contrary to what your teenager might be telling you, they will not die if they take public transportation. There is a good probability that prices will stabilize near the end of this year, why can’t they wait?

If you choose to just roll your eyes at what I wrote add Kia to your list. Larger sedans aren’t selling as much as they used to and they are safer than tiny cars, so look into those too.

1 Like

I worked a great deal to pay for my first car, but I also had a lot of help from my parents. I am not spoiled; to this day I treat my cars very well. To the point of annoying my family.