America’s largest car retailer, has sold customers used vehicles with unrepaired defects

Is AutoNation even authorized to do warranty repairs?

It’s worse than they [AN] are doing it because of incompetence - they are doing it out of convenience. The used car sales manager just wants to hit his numbers, he has no vested interest in making repairs …

I don’t understand the question. Of course they are they own hundreds of dealerships.

1 Like

yes they can send it to their affiliated dealership for the recall fix. This is what Penske did with my car - sent it to a Penske dealership to fix. But only after I signed the contract - they had no interest in fixing it while it was sitting on their lot for sale…

The guys told me they want to keep their outlay as small as possible - and only fix it when they have a buyer, particularly for cars they are selling close to wholesale … and are borderline thinking of sending to auction if it does not move in a week or so

I didn’t know, thought they specialize in used only, like Carmax.

I am pretty sure AN would be more motivated to do a pre-sales recall fix for 50k 7 series than for a 10k Civic. As usual, money talks …

Perhaps but that isn’t how AN works at the store level. Each store is responsible for their own P&L and the GM cares about the overall bottom line not just that the used car manager hits his numbers. If the store isn’t profitable they sell it. They are divesting and purchasing dealerships every month.
Therefore back to my original point, if they, with the “they” being AN leadership where aware this was going on they would make sure they took advantage of the easy high profit margin opportunity sitting there and perform all this warranty work.

1 Like

Nope they own over 300 new car dealerships from 30 different brands.

1 Like

The Takata airbag recall is probably one of the most serious.

Using the death and injury stats from the Vox article and the number of impacted vehicles from the NHTSA, the risk of death of buying any impacted vehicle, ever, new or used, from any dealer anywhere at any time:

24 / 41,600,000 = 0.000058%

200 injuries puts your risk of injury at

200 / 41,600,000 = 0.0000024%

You would then need to reduce these stats to isolate those deaths/injuries encountered in used vehicles sold by AutoNation with this issue unaddressed.

From there you would have to reduce that number by the chances of a death/injury during your ownership window.

The odds of anything serious happening are effectively zero, which is why Vox didn’t bother attributing any actual deaths or injuries to AutoNation.

Moreover, the takata defect issue is not distributed equally. It is more likely to happen in hot humid climates as the recall has to do with the explosive charge and ignitor getting degraded by humidity. So people in Northern states have an even smaller risk … Just thought you would want to add this to your actuarial studies & modeling about risk vs reward…

The cost of designing and manufacturing a risk-free vehicle and ensuring a risk-free distribution system and a risk-free secondary/tertiary/whatever comes after that market would make it impossible for anyone to afford a car.

1 Like

34 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

Even carvana is doing it

1 Like

Vox will write an article about Carvana next, and they’ll use this same line:

While information about recalls can be found on AutoNation’s website, a PIRG spokesman said the company isn’t doing enough to notify customers about the potential risks of purchasing a vehicle.

The article doesn’t say how the study determined if a vehicle has open recalls.

We got an Autocheck report from Carmax when they appraised the Prius we recently sold, and Autocheck showed an open recall.

We took the car to a Toyota dealer to have the recall addressed before advertising it for private sale, and there were none.

Yes because Carmax/carfax/autocheck cannot determine if a Toyota vehicle has a takata airbag or not. there are broad parameters for the recall but as far as I can remember, about 60-70% of toyota vehicles in a given range had takata airbags … So yours must have been built using the other airbag…

It wasn’t a bogus airbag recall, it was a different bogus recall.

I just looked at the Autocheck report, it’s recall J0V-9982, which appears to be this one:

This thread is woefully off track. If we can’t bring it back around, to the topic at hand - that is, AutoNation (and other dealers) selling cars with known recalls, this thread can have a timeout too.

3 Likes

Can’t we all agree that Autonation just pretty much bites?? :weary:

I haven’t any experienced.