Ally Lease Buyout Question(TX)

Has anyone in Texas ever purchased their vehicle at the end of the lease? I did earlier this month and I am getting my title tomorrow via FedEx. Does anyone know if thats what I will need to sell my vehicle or will it be a removal of lien letter that I need to take down to the DMV and get a title issued?

Don’t you need to go to DMV to officially switch the title?

I have no idea how its done in TX. I have only lived here for 2 years and this is the first lease I have ever bought out. I know how it would work in Ohio, but not TX specifically. Some things are a little backwards. :laughing:

1 Like

Interesting as TX charges full sales tax on leases, but you brought it in from the outside.
Do they charge sales tax on the purchase?

I wonder how sticky if any it gets.

I did not pay taxes to Ally.

exactly, when you register the car (to issue the title in your name), what taxes are due.

Will either be what you paid Ally for the car or “presumptive value” per Texas DMV. The last 2 cars that I purchased from out of state were taxed based on “presumptive value.” ('99 Trans Am WS6 (18k miles) purchased May '15 in FL and '05 M3 purchased June '20 in CA) … which for me was a blessing because the “presumptive value” on those cars was much less than what I paid. The lady at the tax office never asked me for a bill of sale on either. She put the VIN in the computer and whatever it told her the value was is what she based tax from. I’m located in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.

Just found my papers on both of those cars. '99 Trans Am WS6 taxable value was $3500.00 … '05 M3 taxable value $5850.00 … true market value on those cars is much more.

Who is buying it and what paperwork do they ask for?

A quick update. I received the title in the mail. It was the banks version of the title removing the lien.

I will need to take that into my local tax accessors office, pay taxes, and registration fees, and then likely wait 20 days for the new title to come to me in the mail.

I also found out that if you want to sell to Carmax then you have to wait for 30 days past the issued date on the title…

Hope this helps someone else in TX that has similar questions.

5 Likes

Let us know how much they charge you in taxes.

I was charged 6.25% of my purchase price. In TX there is a standard application document for getting the title and registration moved to your name(130-U). You have to take that, plus your purchase contract, and the title in to your tax accessors office. The title is mailed and typically takes 1 to 2 weeks.

1 Like

Could you have handed the title to buyer and they get charged the tax? Basically I want a new car. I am in a long term relationship where we don’t plan to get married for various reasons. The GF loves my car and wants to buy it out. I’d rather her have it at a price that is about 6k under retail price rather than let it go back to be sold to someone else.

No, the title was from a different state and had the bank listed on as the owner. They signed and notarized that they had released the lien and that it could be transferred to me. I had to take it to the BMV and have a title created in my name. Before that could happen I had to pay taxes and fees. No way around it…not in Texas anyway.

That stinks. I hate the idea of having to pay tax twice. Such is life in a state with no income rax.

Curious if you could register it from Ally into your and your gf name at first then a few weeks later take your name off?

True…its also why I am not leasing anymore. At least not until this craziness and chip shortage is over.

True. I’m mixed to buy anything. GF ended up buying a Subaru Ascent and I am keeping my car hoping there is some relief in there market by summer. (Not holding my breath). Worst case scenario is Used Cars are still hyper inflated so I do buy out my lease and then turn around and sell it. I don’t ike leasing companies capitalizing on the inflated market, but don’t. blame them. I just don’t like an issue like mine where the car is staying in the family, but because of their ways I would have to pay an extra $1600 to title it twice in a day. Of course Texas is also to blame here. In the meantime I just miss out on a first edition color scheme I really wanted, but means nothing overall.

Hi, Thanks for sharing your experience - very helpful. I leased in Texas and I’m in the process of buying out my Ally lease in Texas. Ally site says, “Pay the purchase option price plus any applicable taxes, fees and other unpaid amounts.” It is still unclear to me if I am supposed to add the motor vehicle sales tax amount to the buyout amount when I write the check to Ally. Do you know? Does anyone else know? Thanks!

Will Ally sell you the lease directly in Texas? The last I heard they would not sell directly to the consumer in the state of Texas (among other states) because they are not a registered dealer. @mcross0514 same question for you. My buyout price is amazing compared to market value right now, but I thought I was going to have to go through the dealer buyout process which would make it so they can set a new price with a crazy markup. I was going to return the car, but if I can buy it out that would be great