Ally Financial Lease Transfers

From what I’ve seen, most of the banks do have a separate group that handles transfers. Are you sure that’s not the case here?

The guy I spoke to, made it seem like he doesn’t do many of these. I took that to mean his main job isn’t this. Plus it’s the same number and extension as their financial auto department.

But, no, I have nothing conclusive that they for sure don’t have a department just for this. But if they do, those people must be bored for most of the day if they have to wait for everything to be mailed to them.

That may be part of the issue. Ally had suspended transfers for a while for Covid. It’s possible that they tightened the belt on their transfer department and opened transfers back up having a different group doing them. Could also be a very limited group doing them now.

1 Like

I agree that Covid could be what’s causing this. I never dealt with them before this.

If they have no motivation to do lease transfers, they wouldn’t have resumed them.

Just saying no is less damaging to a customer relationship than dragging people through an infuriating process that has the same result.

Precovid ally took about 3-4 weeks to transfer. Post it’s about 6 weeks. I always overnight my paperwork with return receipt so I know they got it. Most companies do this through snail mail as there’s less chance of fraud.

I’ve transferred 5 cars through ally. 1 post pandemic. It takes time like every bank. I don’t think transfers are money makers or high priority for any bank. As others said, there’s not much incentive for them to release the original applicant.

2 Likes

I agree with that, I am guessing a policy change will come soon.

If I were a bank I would force the original person to at least have some liability. Why does he get off free?

In my opinion it should be set up more as a sublease with bank approval. Let the lessee charge what he wants, but he is still liable for the car lease.

That makes no sense at all.

Can’t have your cake and eat it too lol.

If I were a bank I’d light myself on fire and jump off a tall building.

2 Likes

Not sure why you think that. I am stating the original lessee stays liable for the lease. That would give the bank less risk to do a transfer.

1 Like

I am now 25 days into the process and phase 2 still hasn’t started. I have been approved, but Ally is saying they are backlogged and don’t have time to send out the paperwork yet.

I feel bad for the guy transferring the lease, he now has to pay another month, plus the incentive he already offered.

2 Likes

see my January 18 post LOL never never neverrrrr ever again doing business with Ally Auto

2 Likes

If I am accepting a transfer from same state (Texas), do I still need to go to DMV. for registration and license plate? Or could I use his?

Ally is being very vague on the process. They are stating that they are going to send docusign this week, once that is completed and fee is paid, everything is done.

I was under the assumption that I still need to go to DMV.

I wouldn’t expect a rep from a national bank to know jack about the registration requirements of 50 states. What does the official .gov or MV website say?

I got a call from ally today saying the transfer will go through tomorrow and it will take another 3-5 days to receive registration paperwork. Tomorrow will be 45 days since the initial paperwork was faxed in.

Has anyone done an out of state lease transfer with Ally? I have been trying to transfer the lease of my Giulia and have had multiple people that are out of my home state want to take over the lease but I am pretty sure my lease contract does not allow out of state transfers. How is this actually verified? My understanding is that Ally simply runs a credit check on them to obviously ensure they can afford the vehicle but I was curious on how the location would be verified. Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Ally does not allow out of state transfers.
The person assuming the lease will need to provide a driver’s license and place of registration :slight_smile: then ally will provide paperwork for registration… in the state the vehicle (their asset) is domiciled

What is the first step to do a lease transfer? Call the bank first ? can anyone be kind enough to walk me through the process? I have a wrangler lease through Ally and want to get rid of it!

Call Ally to verify what you are allowed to do