Ally can't take lease back

OP does your lease agreement include anything helpful in the fine print?

The only thing the lease return section of the contract says is that I have to return to a “reasonable location” that Ally directs me to. They told me to go to their website and put in my zip and any dealer will take it. I did that but no dealer wants the car. I can’t find any law that specifically states they have to take it back on the date or…

All I can find online is that if my contract states I have to return it by a certain date then they have to take it back by that date, its an agreement. How do I enforce that with out getting an attorney. I just want the car gone.

This might be obvious. I take it you cannot return to the dealer that delivered the car. They are obligated to take it.

Agree. I would just show up to the dealership unannounced.

This makes me to worry.My lease ends in 20 days.Why wouldn’t any dealer wants to take?When I called Ally,they said just schedule an appointment and handover keys and car to dealership!

This is nothing new, been going since April. Start calling dealers and finding one that will take your return. Otherwise, call your lessor for a home-pickup (if they do it). Good luck!

1 Like

I just called nearby dealership. They said that I can return car anytime without any appointment

1 Like

Believe it or not I got a call at Lunch that transportation will be in my neighborhood. I ran home and they just left with the car.

One problem, he wrote up two dents which I disputed, I asked him to take new pictures with the Ally damage circle, he did and said the pics would be in the report but said the scratches were so small I shouldn’t worry about it. They were only about a quarter inch, very minor. I got the report there were no pictures included and the way he marked up the side of the car In the report it looks like a scratch on the whole door. I took a ton of pictures of the car inside and out before he took it but hope it’s not a problem.

https://www.ally.com/auto/dealer-locator/

Alfa isn’t even on the drop down menu for ally. My lease is due back end of the month as well. Guess I’ll start calling dealers soon. I’m sure I can just say I want another one of these shitboxes and they will take it back…worst case scenario

1 Like

Ally doesn’t want their used Alfa Romeos back? Shocking :laughing:

2 Likes

I certainly don’t want mine anymore lol

I don’t know who sets residuals at Ally but they should probably consider a new career

3 Likes

I’m guessing the ‘considering of a new career’ was foisted upon them at some point.

2 Likes

Dealing with the same thing right now. Local dealership won’t take the car back. Ally says they are scheduling home pickup but I have not heard anything since (two weeks). Just for kicks I asked them for reimbursement for parking and insurance and waiting to hear what they respond.

Ally allowed me to keep my stelvio for 2 extra weeks for free. I’m not holding my breath that I won’t get billed but the lady I spoke to on the phone said free.

I asked for reimbursement for storage and insurance they said no way. I asked them if they would except the offer from Carvana or Vroom and they said the buyout is not negotiable. I told him I was having a problem returning the car two weeks before my lease was up and they ended up picking up the car 12 days after my lease expired I called many many times checking in and they kept telling me I will not be charged. After they picked the car up I got a bill for $700 for lease

It took two weeks and about eight phone calls to get that charge waived. Just document every time you call And who you speak to Try to get their extension or direct line so you have records

Just document every time you call And who you speak to try to get their extension a direct line so you have records

I think the only reason they waived the charge is because I kept calling the person who I was dealing with when trying to return the car and she remembered me and knew I was having problems giving it back

Just asking but isn’t Alfa Romeo an FCA brand? Why was Ally (GM) leasing it?

There are captive (wholly-owned subsidiary of an automaker) or non-captive lenders. Depending on the financial arrangements at the time or the individuals credit history, there may be other options available to the lessee.

Ally and US Bank are two of the larger non-captive players in the automotive industry (though one can argue that Ally used to be a captive).

Another example is that you see US Bank being mentioned a lot for Toyota leases… any financial institution can finance a lease, even credit unions if they offer the product.

Ally and GM have separated. Ally is its own bank now

Ally finally (over 3 weeks) sent over a trucker who took my car away.
What has your experience been in getting the lease closed out? Do I get some paperwork in the mail acknowledging that the car has been returned and my account closed?

I’m in the same boat as you. They’re picking up my car next week almost a month after it was due back. They said I won’t get charged but I can’t see that happening. If you get any paperwork update it here so others can see if ally tried to charge us