After lease buyout , is the original warantee transferred in full?

I own a 2019 Genesis G90, coming off of lease in a month, bought in NJ, leased through Genesis Financail services. I now live in Florida, which I am told is a “dealer only state”. I intend to buy the car at lease end, and have a contracted residual value.

However, I was told I had to do the payoff through a dealer , who indicates that they are selling me the car and are charging “pre delivery service charge” of $499, "in order to inspect the car to make sure it is safe to sell to me. They are also charging a fee for servicing the aquisition of plates, registration and title.

Genesis Financial turned me to Tresl ( dba Inovative Funding Services), with whom they say they are affiliated. Tresle will arrange the purchase and titleing , etc for essentially no fee.

Looking over the paperwork, however, it appears that they are buying the car from Gen. FInancial, and reselling to me. MY QUESTION is whether this is what happens in FLorida with any “dealer only” lease end purchase (that is, that the dealer buys and resells the car to you), and ALSO di U kise anything on the manufacturers warantee with this sale?

Thanks for the info

Jsurow

Warranty should be no issue.

2 Likes

Hyundai 10/100k power train warranty is only for the first owner and does not continue beyond the 5/60k new car warranty unless it’s CPO.

Worth checking if Genesis is the same.

Thanks to max_g, I called genesis. THey said that I would be a second owner and that that would not give me the 100k/10yr warantee. After I commented to the agent that it sounds like a perfect opportunity for a class action lawsuit since I AM the original owner, and had him bump it to his superior, he told me that if I referenced thc case number that he gave me for the issue, they WOULD cover the 10y/100k power train warantee.

Should you encounter the need for the 100/10 …dont expect that warranty to be enforce.

How do you figure?

1 Like

We need a class action lawsuit thread.

4 Likes

I purchased the car. I never relinqished possession of the car.

i understand that what makes sense to me may have no importance when it comes to contracts and contract law.

You may be the original driver, but the bank you’re leasing from is the original owner.

He means he is the “original owner” as used by Hyundai when they state the original owner is entitled to the 100k warranty. Hyundai uses that term and its understood to mean the original lessee or person who financed the vehicle.

Do you have something to corroborate that?

That appears to not be the case.

The language, by the general public, understood to mean the person who originally takes possession of the vehicle. Take for example the states that list the buyer and the lienholder as registered owners on title, would you say that when the original owner pays off the loan he is no longer co-owner but full owner and not entitled to the warranty? At best its ambiguous and they did not specifically exclude a lessee. An ambiguity in the contract is held against the one who drafted it. The OP should try to find an attorney to fight this. These types of cases often have fee shifting provisions so that even its its worth little to the OP, an attorney would take this on. Moreover, hyundai has a non-binding arbitration provision in their warranty booklet, so that is a good way to spend some of their money and see what their arguments are. If you dont like the determination you can file suit.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.