Advice on 2024 Honda Accord Hybrid Sport or EX-L

My elderly mother is looking to purchase a new Honda Accord Hybrid Sport or EX-L in South Florida, after an accident totaled her other Accord. I am doing the negotiations for her. She wants to purchase, not lease. I’ve looked around the forum for any guidance on % off MSRP that would be a reasonable starting point for negotiations. She could pay cash or finance - probably doesn’t matter much. The last few deals I have done for myself and wife have been leases, and I have grown to understand that process more. There don’t seem to be many incentives available on Hondas, so I am not sure where to start. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, all discounts I can find is $1000 off MSRP and 3.9% at 39 months.
You are looking for prices between 34-35K for the hybrid EX-L. What I would do is send an email similar to this to all Honda dealerships 150 miles around your area" Hello my name is John Doe and I want to purchase a 2024 Honda Hybrid EX-L. I need your best OTD price using Zip 33xxx. I am willing to finance through Honda finance for (60 months?). I have no trade in and do NOT pay dealer add ons. If the quote is GREAT , I will send copies of license and insurance so you can start the contract. Then call or text me when car is prepped (washed and tank filled with gas) and contract ready for sign. We will then inspect, sign and drive".
Once you get the price you want, then follow through with sending copies of documents. After you find your car and send email add this to it “Please pass onto finance manager I plan on purchasing the car only and do not want any extra packages (i.e. security, warranty, waxes, tires etc.) just the Accord. Thank you!”
Please avoid visiting dealership without quotes because they will sell your mom a car they want to sell and not what she wants.

But I saw some better used deals (as long as you can get a decent APR on the loan).

Honda Accord 2023 or later - AutoTempest.com

Used 2023-2024 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L Sedans for Sale in Pembroke Pines, FL (with Photos) - TrueCar

This 2023 Hybrid EX-L is only $27,450 with only 14K miles!
Used 2023 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L For Sale $27,450 | Cars.com

1 Like

Definitely focus on the EXL unless your elderly mother wants the larger rims and thinner sidewall on the Sport for some reason.

Places to look for data: sellers who show pre-rebate discount in the Marketplace (should be same for lease or purchase)

“Prices paid” subforums in Edmunds forums & similar threads in Honda forums.

1 Like

Thanks. I learned long ago, from this forum, to not visit dealerships other than for test drives. I told my mother not to sit down with them, and just tell them she wants to drive it, but she is still looking at other options.

1 Like

She likes the sporty look, but the EXL looks like a better value to me.

Looks are one thing. But a through test drive should examine whether losing 22mm of sidewall is worth it.

1 Like

The best Honda value I’ve seen in the Marketplace today was a Civic Touring for $3k off.

Unless I had kids in RF seats in the back, I’d take a Civic Touring over an Accord EXL every day.

1 Like

Hi

I got 3k off of an lx and 1250 with loyalty. If you have the old honda registration then you can get loyalty.

I got 27k otd. Looking to lease so not sure if that is good?

Hope that helps?

I had another dealer got me an ex 29k otd

1 Like

I looked into the loyalty, but it only seemed to apply to new leases or to the non-hybrid Accord. Did you receive it for a purchase or a lease, and was it a hybrid? Was in this month?

Why would you ask the dealership how much they want you to pay?

Make them an offer, not the other way around. You should know what the otd price should be before ever engaging with a dealer.

1 Like

Honda leases are mostly terrible due to poor RV/MF and lack of big rebates

Never tell them what you want to pay a month (getting yourself into their trap) because you are setting yourself up on spending too much. Ask them first their lowest OTD price and then go down from there. Because if you shoot too low, they will just not answer/respond and shoot too high they will agree, and you have no room to negotiate any lower. To them, this is a game on how much more than can get out of the buyer and instead of how much the buyer can save.
Agree since Honda’s just got the new facelift (2023/4), dealerships are selling them like hot cakes and little wiggle room for deals. But, going to a large volume dealership, they have a bit more price flexibility on OTD price to meet or exceed monthly quotas.
If I was in market for mid-size sedan, I would look at the Camrys instead because the 2025’s have undergone a major fast lift and as a result they want to move out their 2024’s to make room.

I received it for purchase and lease.

Just send them a number based on what you would be willing to pay for the car. I have bought multiple cars like that. I want out the door on stock # XXXXX for 25K with a zip of XXXXX. Your number needs to be reasonable or yes, they will ignore you. But you should know what a reasonable but aggressive number is before you start talking to dealers.

And give them a reason or 2 to take your deal. Make your deal more appealing by,

picking an instock unit

promising a quick turn around time (today or tomorrow0

promise a google review/dealer rater and perfect survey.

1 Like

Yes that too!

These are examples that not one tactic works. I too have been buying/leasing and selling cars for friends, co-workers and family for over 20 years (over 100 cars) and saved or made them thousands of $ and each situation was unique. Helping buy/lease and selling cars is my hobby or gambling addiction. I get a high when I get them great deals. I even attended a used car licenses course in my hometown city college to learn more about the car market (and got a license to boot).

This is just wasting time and erasing your value as a fast, easy deal.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.