Advice needed - Purchase Tesla MY or continue Bolt Lease

I am currently leasing a Bolt LT 2020 in IL, it was prepaid lease for $7K for 3 years. Lease ends next March.

I have realized that the size of the car is too small for a family with two child seats, so I do not plan to purchase or lease a Bolt EV or EUV due to this constraint.

I reserved a MY after the price drop due to FOMO, MSRP $55K (VIN Assigned) since this is the right size of the car I would need.

Would you recommend buying MY this year and lease transfer or return the Bolt. Are there any other EV SUV of this size that are going to released in the next 12 months. Wondering whether I will end paying the same amount for a used MY next year when the tax breaks will not be $7500 (with a higher price of MY)

Model Y of course.

1 Like

The Bolt’s a prepaid lease (and a damn good one), so why not just keep it as an extra vehicle and still get the Model Y?

Also: did you ever try for a MSRP swap on your ‘20 Bolt? That’s been a very nice way for some folks to earn a ton of equity by swapping into a newer Bolt or other GM product.

GM replaced the battery for me, collateral swap wasn’t an option because I was little too late for that.

I just bought a Volvo CPO in December, don’t want to have 3 cars on insurance (and driveway).

SUV or car?

My answer is NO. Keep the Bolt till next year.

I bought a XC90 last December .

Thank you for the advice.

I am having trouble finding the next lessee for the Bolt, will not be able to go ahead with MY purchase if I can’t do that. Also the insurance is another $1000 more for the MY

That would be a sunk cost fallacy