Advice - Buy or return m340i

I have a 2021 m340 that’s due back in June. It is a pretty base model with only 22k miles. I really like the car but am torn on whether to buy it or trade it in for a new one or possibly something else. My current buyout is ~$33k and I’ve gotten quotes from Carvana, Carmax, etc. for ~$39k. My current payment is $600 and a new one would be $800ish. Additionally, I’d need new tires over the coming year. Id also be interested in an X3 m40 or x5.

What would you do in my situation?

Sell it to Autonation if they match Carmax and lease a cheap EV.

Envy your low buyout. 2021 m340 here as well, 26k miles. Buyout is $37k and I can barely get even offers from most retailers.

Trade it in to your local BMW dealer and get the X3 m40i. Just don’t let the BMW dealer steal it from you for less than the $39K offer from CarMax. Be aware that CarMax can not buy it from BMWFS for your lease end buyout. You will have to buy and trade, which can be a hassle.

I like cars too much to lease an ev.

2 Likes

Curious why you recommend the x3 over another m340? I haven’t driven an x3 yet but believe there’s less incentives and a few point lower residual which would probably get the payment close to x5 territory.

The x5 is going to run you at least $900 a month. The x3 m40i has a little more horsepower. Coming from an m340i I think the x3 is the logical progression into BMW SUVs unless you need the extra space of the X5. The X5 has been refreshed for 2025, so maybe you can find a better deal on a leftover 2024 if you move quickly.