Additional discount on top of Jaguar/Land Rover Private Offer

Hello!

Not sure if this is the place to ask it, but I have a private offer from Jaguar/Land Rover that is 10% off MSRP base customer price on most models for 2019 and 2020 years.

Is it reasonable to expect a normal discount on top of that? Or will dealers not want to negotiate from that number?

Thank you!

Current Jaguar owner :slight_smile:

Kudos to you if you can get more discount on top of that 10% off.

Doesn’t hurt to try but I highly doubt it. I’ve also heard of some dealers denying those private offers.

10% off for Range Rover is actually pretty exceptional. Depends on the model but most Range Rover dealers aren’t willing to play ball as far as a hefty discount is concerned, especially on the full size RR and the Sports

1 Like

No, not typically.

2 Likes

Would be interested in a Velar,

also in an F-Type if it leases better :wink:

To do that you need to pick one of each, get the residual/MF/incentives from Edmunds, and run the numbers. Let us know what leases better.

1 Like

Depending on where you are located, you can get 10% on a Velar but nothing beyond that. The 10% is a pre negotiated deal, not a voucher or rebate. Essentially it’s the manufacturer sticking their hands into the dealers pocket and handing discount to the customer. 0% is rebate or manufacturer money, just discount that can be achieved by negotiating without the PIN (although dealers do have the right to, and will refuse them on certain cars).

F-Type P300 will lease around 1% of MSRP with drive-offs
Velar will be a bit above that (1.25 - 1.3%)

2 Likes

what about range rover sport… are they able to get them to 1% lease in these times ?

Thank you ,this is what I was wanting to hear.

Will reach out to my local dealers and see what I get.

:laughing::rofl::joy:

The 1% rule isn’t.

We just had someone (3/31? Yesterday?) get a GREAT deal on a RR Sport: 10% off MSRP (unheard of) and TX tax credits got a $91k MSRP down to $14xx/mo.

2 Likes

I’m sorry but that’s a terrible deal unless one is absolutely obsessed with the badge beyond all reason.

Discounts only go so far when RV and MF are crap.

There are much better cars out there for 1,400

Sometimes you shop the best car for the price and sometimes you shop the best price for the car. That definitely fit the latter and not the former.

2 Likes

It’s a car that is better financed than leased, especially if you own a business and write it off under section 179 (because the vehicle is over 6,000lbs gross weight it qualifies for a larger tax incentive). When you factor in the write off and normal depreciation the effective payment over time of ownership is actually really attractive.

2 Likes

I’m not a tax expert but from what i understand accelerated depreciation isn’t a larger tax break. It just means you get to take it earlier. And then the gain on sale becomes taxable?

Regardless my main gripe with RR ownership is that dealers will low ball you on the trade and most interested private parties are just tire kickers looking for a free test drive with no means to actually afford the car. Between myself and several friends we’ve come to the conclusion that 80-100k+ F and P cars are easier to sell than 40-50k RRs.

Agreed, but within reason. If everything remains the same and the lessor drops the RV a few more points, should we call 1700 a great deal too?

Yes, for those given lease programs, that would be considered a very good deal for that vehicle at that point in time.

That doesn’t mean it makes sense to take it though.

We can grind the math, but basically you spend a dollar to save (Roughly) $0.30, but you effectively get a discount off your tax rate on top. The 90k you would have paid ordinary income tax on is captured as depreciation and comes off the top in the current tax year.

Correct. Don’t want businesses reselling farm equipment just to profit on arbitrage.

Depends if they are payment sensitive, but I’d say no.

Edit (before someone accuses me of being too general): My example is just that. Not everyone is eligible to accelerate 100% of the depreciation so you have to ask your accountant.

One more on this. For luxury that doesn’t lease WELL:

• those who can write off their lease will usually because they can
  • those who can benefit from accelerated depreciation will buy

And for that reason, those lessors/buyers seem to not GAF if their lease payment starts with a 2 and has a comma, which seems bonkers.

You still have to make the dollar to spend $0.30

And enough of those people in a low volume brand means fewer discounts to move metal.

RR and Jag are as unreliable in 2020 as they were in 1990 but people line up for 2% lease payments because they can write it off.

Both of those things cannot be true at the same time.

If it makes no sense there’s no way it can be called a great deal.

The definition of a great deal cannot depend on the price sensitivity of the buyer.

1 Like

It’s not being called a “great deal”. It’s being called a “great deal for that vehicle” with a big fat asterisk on it. It’s a great deal in the sense that it represents several sigma off on the lease price bell curve for that vehicle. That is by no means a statement about if it’s a great value.

Granted now we are just arguing semantics over the use of terms.

2 Likes