Added Equipment "billed to everyone of our EVs"

, ,

Today in the course of pricing email traffic with a dealer I question what a $529 Added Equipment cost is for. He responds with:

“The $529 Blink charger is an accessory for electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles. It’s a Level 2 home charging station that provides faster and more efficient charging compared to a standard wall outlet. This charger will help you get the most out of your electric vehicle by reducing charging time and maximizing the benefits of owning an eco-friendly car. Unfortunately we don’t have the option (to remove it), they are billed to everyone of our EVs from the manufacturer.”

What a load of bunk. Looking for veracity here, if there is any to be assigned to it.

Some evs dont come with a charger anymore

Right, but dealers don’t get to just tack on a Level 2 charger, and since when is Kia requiring buyers/lessors to pony up over $500 for one? Not everyone even has 220 volts available for a Level 2 charger.

Lol Kia dealers are doing $200 for Nitrogen. You are getting off easy with a charger lol.

5 Likes

Yea at least they’re not charging for a full tank of gas.

4 Likes

I’m curious if ANYONE has had this experience. Today in the course of pricing email traffic with a dealer I question what a $529 Added Equipment cost is for. He responds with:

“The $529 Blink charger is an accessory for electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles. It’s a Level 2 home charging station that provides faster and more efficient charging compared to a standard wall outlet. This charger will help you get the most out of your electric vehicle by reducing charging time and maximizing the benefits of owning an eco-friendly car. Unfortunately we don’t have the option (to remove it), they are billed to everyone of our EVs from the manufacturer.”

This smells to me like a complete load of bunk.

Is it on the sticker or on the worksheet?

Yes bunk as a blink lvl 2 is $300

It is no different then the various add ons dealers have. You can firmly refuse and they will probably give in but if not then may need to move onto another dealer.

I will certainly do so, but I may just include it in my lease proposal after deducting $529 from the selling price. I’ll either keep the charger or sell it on the open market.

Worksheet only at this point. I haven’t seen the sticker yet.

Kia dealers are something else. All around me have market adjustments.

Advertisements are for suckers, you gotta email or call to get the best rates

I understand that, but when they have over 200 cars on the lot and still use the shortage as an excuse, I wouldn’t even want to do business with them. The SUVs they charge even more for, and have add-ons on top.

At least you get something decent for the upcharge. But I’d at least find out if it is on the Monroney. If it ain’t, then he is lying about the line “from the manufacturer,” and I’d call him out on it. I’d also point out that, if it is from the manufacturer, then it is residualized and not an added fee.

3 Likes

Wrong. If it’s from the manufacturer, then it will be itemized on the window sticker. Remember, dealers are franchises independent from the manufacturer. The manufacturer prints the window sticker as the car leaves the factory (or leaves the port), the dealer can print their own addendum for accessories and markups.

If it’s on the window sticker you’re SOL and it is indeed something that is billed by OEM

1 Like

Just as I figured. Ask for the window sticker or VIN, and amateur hours continue…

“I was mistaken I apologize, it is a dealer accessory that we have added to everyone of our EVs because 99% of people need the charger.”

Even if it’s not on the label. It’s not obscene, as others have mentioned, you’re paying maybe $200-300 more for the charger. Better than Nitrogen or overpriced tint, etc.

Horseshit. If a customer never asked for it and doesn’t want it, it doesn’t belong on a bill of sale. $529 is the high end of the price range for that charger. AND it will cost another $300 - $1,000+ to install a 220 volt circuit for powering it.