Accident during Test Drive?

i just want to know, what happens if someone gets involved in an accident during test drive?

i know most of us are very alert while test driving a car but you cannot control the next persons car if he hit you.

who is responsible for paying?
i have test driven 3 cars out of them Hyundai doesn’t even bother to see my insurance and license, they just asked me if i have insurance/DL and i said yes.

If it was your fault, your own insurance would pay. The “insured” in an insurance policy is always the person, not the car.

I was sitting in the backseat when a friend rear ended the car in front (that was being towed) on a test drive. He had to pay for damages.

I’d offer 25-30% off after the repair if not too crazy damage.

2 Likes

i have heard it’s car first then person
for example; you gave your car to your friend who hit the car and it’s his fault (you gave verbal permission)

your insurance will kick in first, if the damages exceeds the limit of your insurance, only then the person who was driving (your friend) is liable

New hack:

1. Test drive demo/loaner

2. Crash while on test drive

3. Ask for 50% off

4. Profit.

9 Likes

No. In the U.S., the car is the insured, not the person. Hence, when your friend borrows your car, crash at fault, it is your car insurance that kicks in first. Your friend could be uninsured (maybe he doesn’t have a car), and that’s perfectly fine because, again, the car is insured, not the person.

Any reputable dealer will handle the costs of the accident. It’s a cost of doing business. Their insurance will take care of it.

5 Likes

This is 100% correct. If the dealer was reliant on your insurance don’t you think they would check it before letting you drive the car?

1 Like

When you return the damaged car tell them you hadn’t noticed that it was all bashed in in he front. Then ask them to bring another one round so you can get a better test drive.

1 Like

There are some truly epic test drive stories over at https://www.reddit.com/r/askcarsales/, including some accident stories.

A dealer may absorb the cost of a minor accident, but if the test driver is at fault and there are significant damages or injury, there’s a good chance of a claim against the test driver’s insurance (which will be primary coverage). Results vary by state, but that’s the norm. That’s why in my state the normal process for a test drive includes first furnishing proof of both a driver’s license and personal auto insurance.

I bet it depends on how bad the damage. Dealers will probably eat it if it’s under $1000.