A-Class Lease - How badly did I get hosed?

Just as a quick glance, truecar is showing market value as being a little more than 10% off for a heavily optioned a220. If you had not got the lease protection, got the truecar price, and only paid for the services as you needed them, you probably could have saved about $7k over the life of the lease.

2 Likes

That sounds about right. First time leasing mistakes, I suppose, and just totally out of practice dealing with cars. Thank you for looking that up!

No worries. Next time, come here BEFORE you sign the paperwork. Not much we can do after.

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember the sales manager said this was their first A-Class lease, and they only had a couple on the lot. They actually pulled this one out of storage, they hadn’t even got it on the lot yet.

Great looking car! Enjoy!

You are paying more for a Mercedes economy box than you would for a BMW 5 series or Audi A6. No discount whatsoever and an additional 2k in maintenance. If you love the car, great but nobody will tell you that you have anything close to a respectable deal. Read the pinned “READ ME FIRST” post and understand what it is you are signing up for when you sign a lease.

The answer to your question is here;

You bought a car that you didn’t want and you bought on impulse. You don’t need LH to tell you that.

7 Likes

I’m driving a Model 3 for cheaper plus pay no gas

1 Like

At your numbers I’d be in an E43 (maybe an E63 if I hit a home run) or an M4CS.

Deal is atrocious, but that’s typically the outcome for an impulse $50k purchase.

Too late at this point, enjoy the car.

4 Likes

Maybe we could pair them up with the $900 Pilot lessee and they can both come to an equitable exit plan. :kissing:

7 Likes

Somebody leased a Pilot for 900?

2 Likes

In the future hiring a broker might be the way to go for you. They really screwed you badly. They most likely used a higher MF, sold at sticker for an A class lol, and added in other fees. You would be lucky if the car was stolen or totaled even if you lost your down payment. Would save you from many months of this insanity. Unfortunately, you will not be able to get a lease transfer without losing thousand and thousands of dollars on incentives because nobody is going to pay that monthly for that car. You’re not going to be able to get the dealer to take back unless you have a cooling off period and you got it within 24 hours. The best you could do is write a online review saying you got taken advantage of badly, but they are just doing their jobs.

In the future you may want to spend a little more time reading before just walking into a dealership. Never go in without a plan and a concept in mind of how you want the deal structured. Ideally you should be paying in low 400s or high 300s with max MSDS and maybe a few fees due at signing.

2 Likes

Looks likes you’ve been enjoying the car for 2 months already. Its a nice car with a beautiful interior. Just keep enjoying it and use it as motivation to check the forums again and ask the forum for help once you get the numbers (all the numbers to effectively fill out the calculator).

As others have said, I doubt it’ll lease transfer without a good incentive but at that point just keep driving it for the extra money. At least its got the 3 point star.

To the question on putting the car up for a lease transfer, there is very little supply on swapalease at the moment and the deals that are available are at a similar $600ish per/mo price point. You might be able to move it if you can drop the price to $600 a month which would mean a $3K incentive. If you get no bites you can keep upping the incentive from there.

At some point you might just want to take the car to Carmax and or get quotes from Vroom and Carvana to see what they would buy it for. With that, you can get a sense of your worst case scenario for negative equity vs. how high you might be willing to go with incentives.

3 Likes

Oh boy. I know the lease is already signed, but I’m very concerned that you signed and don’t know such a basic thing.

3 Likes

You could have easily been in an 70k AMG lease for less…this deal is atrocious.

1 Like

This has to be a joke, right? $700 for a super duper entry level “luxury” Mercedes.

Op, the biggest mistake you made was not doing research and buying on impulse. You’ve already Identified that as an issue.

Hope it’s a reality check for you. You should put it up on swapalease and throw 3k in incentive down to move it. Hopefully someone picks it up.

Make sure you check with us before doing your next deal. That is imperative.

2 Likes

If it were me, I would spend some time on educating myself about leasing. A good place to start is with the Leasing 101 section on this site. Spend some with the Leasing calculator, again on this site.

I would make myself aware of the key variables in a lease and what can be negotiated. The best consumer is an educated, informed consumer. There are many helpful, knowledgeable individuals on this site who gladly will give feedback, but I would want to have the core knowledge myself…

Ok ok guys. The OP did get screwed, but it’s not THAT bad. As long as the OP is ok with the payments, just enjoy the beautiful car and come back in 3 years to prepare for the next lease.

It’s OP’s first lease. Who doesn’t make mistakes when we deal with cars for the 1st time. (I paid $1k for a 6-month insurance policy for my 1st car which I bought for $7k :joy::joy::joy:)

It’s okay to make mistakes as long as we can learn from our mistakes and not let it happen again.

1 Like