A blessing but a curse all the same

I’m going to have to stop you right there.

I stated that for a consumer that has a vested interest in knowing total cost of transaction (transparency), a flat fee for a service is preferable.

No one is dictating how you should run your operation and it is your right to conduct business as you see fit.

This forum. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol been reading alot over the past week on this forum, but still have so many questions and dont want to annoy everyone with questions. Would love if there had been like a beginners guide or something

The market is so diverse that there is no real way to post a one size fits all guide. Aside from negotiaing dealer discounts, potentially stacking rebates and ensuring lowest (if any) markup on money factor, what is a good deal on one marque may be a terrible deal or a steal on another.

Ok. And I’m telling you that it’s not anyone’s business, including the consumer’s, what “fee” I’m collecting for my service.

2 Likes

I’m assuming you read this post and the links such as Leasing 101 and the FAQ page?

If you have general leasing questions that can’t be found after searching the forum, feel free to shoot me a PM and I’d be happy to help answer those questions.

3 Likes

yes! several times! and thanks ! ill def take you up on that offer

Let’s agree to disagree and get this thread back on course:

Brokers, what do you like best about what you do?

I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt a broker is going to give anyone the ins and outs on brokering on this forum for fear 900 more people are going to read it then begin brokering from their basement, thus potentially cutting into their paycheck.

2 Likes

The barriers to entry are pretty high if someone were to do it legally… illegally is a whole different story.

Wait, what!? Brokers charge $299+?? For real?
Our broker never mentioned anything about that. I just assumed dealers pay them. o.O

It depends on the broker. Many make a little from both sides.

3 Likes

As someone mentioned, getting a broker’s license varies from state to state. You will need to contact/check out the DMV of your state for more info. In CA, I think it’s a course, pass test, have an office, inspection, get bond/insurance, etc. Seems pretty straight forward to set it up but need some money. Hard part is probably networking with the dealerships and building that relationship and clientele.

Lets not forget that car broker is a sales job, just like any sales job you might only bat 1/10 customers. A lot of people just inquire and have questions after questions. The execution to close the deal is the hard part. If the broker can get a better deal than me (regular LH consumer) than they earned their broker fee. If I’m lazy and they find a good deal for me, overall saves me $, then they earned their broker’s fee regardless if I’m paying them or dealer’s paying them. Everyones got to eat.

I think most on LH forums are very detail and # savy. They like the hunt or find a good bargain which is more like a hobby. Car brokers is a sales job. Not everyone is fit for it even if you like #s and hunting :unicorn: :rofl:

This is great conversation and really lays it out that it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Personally i’d prefer to keep this thing of ours a hobby but i’m not closed off to the idea down the line. :slight_smile:

Agreed. Let me tell you- the average dealer on the showroom floor isn’t gonna cut you a deal even close to what you see here. At least not in my experience, on the showroom floor or over the phone. I couldn’t get anyone to touch the avg LH selling price. Brokers build relationships- not mention the intangible joy of getting a car without setting foot in a dealership! Much respect to the solid brokers and trusted dealers on LH.

4 Likes

I had brokers do the leg work and got amazing deals on over $100k cars payments has been the same amount as the first pmt of the car for most deals. I find it fair. I value their knowledge not to mention doing it on your own can cost you thousands of unhappiness for 3 years!

Little update here. It’s no secret i’ve walked into a couple of sweet deals since this thread was started just by targeting cars that needed to move. Still love the hunt, still get a high off the close. :slight_smile:

NTX and DFW in general is a very touch and go market as i’m beginning to understand however down to it’s core no different than the good ol’ boys approach that’s as old as car sales itself (who you know, not what…).

That being said, Doing a little research i’ve found out brokering is very touchy in Texas and in fact may not be a legal profession so there goes that idea. In any case, I’m happy to refer solid leads and help guide and provide insight to local deals in my spare time (That means you won’t always get a response right away, so try not to message me with pen in hand at the dealer!) as I always want to see folks get a great price on a set of wheels they love.

Would love to see a travel hacking section. I’m going to Maui at the end of the month and would love to find some awesome hotel deals.

Easiest travel hack regarding Hawaii: Go in the shoulder seasons. (Weeks preceding summer vacation, weeks right after summer vacation)

If you’re really adventurous, consider a trip during hurricane season as hotel rates get nice and (relatively) cheap and rental cars even cheaper.

1 Like

Makes sense. Unfortunately we’re not as flexible about travel dates this year due to an expected baby. :slight_smile:

3 Likes