70 days with the F-type- Thoughts

I’ve had the car for 70 days now and hit 1000 miles and I felt like it’d be appropriate to share some thoughts about the car.

Pros:

1. Lots of thumbs up at red lights, on the road with the windows down. “Gorgeous (the car)!” “What year is it?” “Nice CAR!” “Sweet ride” ~more than you’d imagine. So yes- this is probably a pretty good lookin car- I would say so myself. Apart from strangers- friends love it- passersbyers stare as they walk- both men and women smile at you (I’m being totally serious about this - never happens when I’m in the minivan which is Mon-Fri)

2. Very Very fun to drive and sounds fantastic even given its a base but still supercharged V-6. I especially love it when the spoiler pops out once you hit 65+MPH

3. I love how the center A/C raises out when activating- makes me go woaaaah every time including fellow passengers.

4. Love the interior lighting at night- teal lights on the doors.

5. Center GPS display- Although I don’t use the GPS often- apart from the navigation- the center display (see photo where Jaguar Logo is lit up) the GPS will be active there as well (not as impressive as the audi TT and now the A4 where the entire unit is a computer unit but hey-I’ll take it).

Cons:

1. When I first started driving the car - boy the pressure is on. You are sat low and hugged out- I have gotten used to now but sometimes if I go two weeks without driving it- I forget how low it is and less of a view compared to my minivan.

2. Deflector- scraped twice like other LH members but yea- the car is very low- for $20 I’m glad it’s there to protect bumper which is still in perfect condition- you don’t even see the deflector- so no big deal.

3. White gets dirty pretty easy- and on top of that- I’m picky about keeping it clean- so I wash it every 70 miles when I feel the white is a bit shady. Good thing it’s easier to clean now since I spent a few hundred bucks on a ceramic sports coating that makes almost everything especially water bounce right off. Plus I started using de-ionized water to wash the car.

4. I park far and away- it’s like that bimmer ad with the used car- park all alone and push carts away - haha.

5. No backup cam- I can hold my own- but sometimes I like backing up into spaces and a backup cam would be nice

6. Still got that new car smell (some people actually like this…)I don’t think it’s airing out since I always leave it in the garage…

Overall- it’s been a great experience and there’s no substitute for what I’m paying for.

5 Likes

So make it your DD already :wink: … you don’t want people to smile at you everyday?

What’s wrong with this as a DD?

Also I didn’t know the base model had GPS.

Lack of rear camera and being low to ground with little visibility is what worries me about this car as my main ride. Eveyrthing else I’d love.

I have been trying to get @Alex to ditch his M-F minivan since the first SoCal meetup – just keeping the pressure and poking fun :slight_smile:

Alex just transfer the f type to me already lol. You know you are ready for an i3. I promise to cherish and honor her till lease termination do us part.

2 Likes

@Warbeast the GPS is surprisingly well- I love that it appears in the same area in the picture where the Jaguar logo is displayed above- it’s also active—thus you see your current location move as it directs you to your next turn or exit. I’ll upload a photo when I get the chance.

@vhooloo haha- I’m not sure how patient you are- first I gotta sell the house- give or take statistics show about 60 days in that area. The only reason I would want to transfer the lease is if I’m gonna go buy another property- so the big reason for me to transfer over the lease would be to lower my DTI ratio.

Great write up! Thanks for sharing.

If you sell the house, the “I” in your DTI should go up :slight_smile:

1 Like

But not if he is selling in the hood and moving to bel air. Then the D will go up big time much faster than the “I”

@Alex, I am patient, so call me in 60 days lol and good luck on the house. Remember it is easier to sell one than to buy one now, so hopefully you have one to buy in mind before the sales comes through :slight_smile:

I think you’re forgetting my minivan- haha. Edit: are you talking about the car or house?

Talking about the house. For a car, it is the reverse. Buying is easier than selling …

1 Like

@Alex which coating did you do, what’d it actually cost and do you think it was worth it?

I’m usually a wax guy but I’ve been thinking about having it done.

It was called ceramic pro with a sports I forgot what- I got it here

They do a lot of high end stuff- when I was there in person 2 weeks ago- their team took all the badges off of a 458 Italia to put clearbra on- it was a live discovery channel moment for me.

They charge $300 for a single car to detail and coat. And yes- it’s worth it- one of my friends who drive a jet black bimmer had permanent damage to the paint from a massive bird dropping after they came back from a 2 week vacation.

Jaguar actually offers the same coating upon leasing the car (adds $80 a month extra depending on tier). So $300 is not bad- plus- it works and lasts minimum of one year with a fully backed warranty. You can also get it for $200 if you get 4 people to do it with you- I paid upfront and got my family cars worked on as well (not the minivan- extra $50 for big cars).

I first thought that a family of fat birds returned to their nest in the spring :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey bud just in case you get bored with 340hp, 453hp is just a pulley and tune away :wink:

Btw, did you test drive the manual version of the F-type while you were hunting?

Wouldn’t that void warranty? Yes manual is fun but I’m not as smooth as most folks. The backfire sounds thrilling!

Ive had mine for almost a month and put around 600miles on it. I wont list what I love, since theres a lot. What i dont like- 1) no backup camera, im often several feet away from what looks like only a few inches away, so its difficult to parallel park or reverse into spaces…2) the sound system sucks, sounds dull and rattles, but there is a TSB out for it to be fixed under warranty, 3) no garage door opener, 4) the back portion of the seats are a little uncomfortable and thin, I feel the need to adjust myself every 30min or so to avoid back pain, 5) the front is long and low, so its hard to tell how far you are from a parking curb

NavTV makes a plug and play camera kit (front cam and rear cam) which runs around $800 and displays on the factory nav screen. I will be buying this soon, as my attempt to use the Pearl RearVision was a total fail.

Overall, cant complain for being a $400/m car. Looks amazing. Sounds amazing. Drives amazing.

My clock is always a minute off - could be because I don’t drive it 4 or 5 days straight. I’m used the the body of the car now- it takes a while to break in like a new pair of sneakers.

Haha

1. and 5) are why the car looks so good on he outside :wink:

What happened with the Pearlvision? We were very close into getting that. Please post back with that new system and let us know if that works better. Holding off for now.

I ordered the Pearl RearVision when it was on sale last month for $425 (normally $499)

Assuming you accept the fact that you are using your phone to display the image, the unit doesnt work well with Jaguar. The wifi/bluetooth transmitter is plugged into the OBD2 port, where it remains indefinitely. With the F Type, as soon as you plug anything into the OBD2 port, it wont cut off the power (even if your remove whatever is in the port). Even when the car goes in for service, and a tech plugs a scanner into the OBD2 port, they will have to remove the negative battery terminal for 10 seconds, which resets the port. With that said, the Pearl will kill your car’s battery in 2 days. There is no way around it, so I returned it.

1 Like