7,000 miles and tires almost gone - is this normal?

It’s a 3 series with RFTs

I was checking the tires the other day and the treads seemed a lot more worn than usual. So i brought it into a shop and turns out it’s more than half way done.

The manager mentioned that the rears are supposed to wear out faster, but was surprised to see that the front tires were more worn out. (can’t rotate as they are different in sizes)

I do my fair share of rough driving and is less than 10% of the time (other 90%, i’m cruising on Eco Mode), and would be willing to pay for the new set if it’s due to my driving. Just wondering if it’s normal, as it’s my first time with a BMW.

Thoughts?

Tread depth new was likely 10/32nd depending upon the brand your particular car is equipped with.

1 Like

I had to change tires at 19K on my 3 series. Is it the continental sport run flats? They are beyond horrible.

RFTs wear our really quickly from prior experience.

Buy some cheap tires to get you through the lease and then buy a used set of RFTs to turn in with?

To add another datapoint, I’ve put ~14k miles on my loaner 330e with 2k miles when I took the delivery. Drive it like I stole it and tires still looking good. Continental conti-pro sport RFTs

You have to return with Runflats. Otherwise, you will be put a hefty sum.

I am not sure what the specific tread depth you need is at lease turn in, but you might be over the minimum.

If so, store the tires until the end and put them back on then.

1 Like

That’s not almost gone lol. That’s almost full tread. Tires usually have between 9/32 and 11/32 tread brand new.

Wouldn’t hurt to bring it to the dealer and have them verify that the alignment is correct.

1 Like

While my 2014 5-series didn’t wear quite as quickly as this, I also didn’t have quite as low profile tires. I took the run-flats off and stored them for a while, and bought a new set of non-run flat tires at 15k miles,. I drove them for almost 30k miles, then put the run-flats back on the car for turn in.

Obviously with no spare, you’re in trouble if you get a flat. So I bought a compressor kit that came with fix a flat. Fortunately, I didn’t have to use it, but between that and BMW roadside assistance, I felt good about it.

FWIW, the non-run flats rode much better – without the rigid sidewalls, the car was much better over poor roads (which are a fact of life in the Northeast).

The fronts aren’t close to “almost full tread.”

They are 50% gone. New is 10 and bare minimum is 2, so 6 is the halfway point.