3rd time dealer can't fix safety item on 2018 QX60

Just had my 2018 QX60 towed to the dealer. What happened yesterday while driving on a busy road is the forward emergency braking light illuminated out of nowhere and the car braked automatically at the same time. As soon as it braked, it shut off. Thankfully there was enough room in front of me I was able to stand on the brakes to slow it enough to pull into a parking lot. This happened when I was going abut 40mph. The car wouldn’t start after about 5 tries so I shut the ignition off and let it sit a few minutes. I only got it started by depressing the gas pedal like an older carbureted car. It ran fine till I got home and parked it.

This is the 3rd time this has happened but the first it shut off. The first time it occurred was a month after we got it in June, 2018. The FEB light came on and then all of the lights and it went into limp mode. The dealer couldn’t diagnose the problem so they disconnected and reconnected all of the electrical connections. It ran fine for two years and then it happened again. This occurred last month and while driving up a hill, the lights went on, the brakes stabbed and then went into limp mode but didn’t shut off. Took it to the dealer and they said the ECU needed programmed. This worked for about 3 weeks until what just happened.

Called the dealer yesterday and they don’t have any loaner cars until 7/28 (there’s really only 1 infiniti dealer left in Pittsburgh). Obviously I couldn’t wait that long so I called roadside assistance, had it flat bedded from my home and called infiniti consumer affairs. Supposedly a Regional Manager will call me today.

This is our family truckster and my wife primarily drives it with our boys in it. I no longer feel comfortable or safe driving it, could have been really bad yesterday.

PA lemon laws only cover the first 12 months of a new car. Dealers and other experts, what are my options?

If lemon law doesn’t cover it, decent chance that Magnuson Moss Warranty Act might cover it. I’m sending you a PM with the lawyer I used for my car a few years ago.

6 Likes

If it’s a 2018 how much time is left on the lease?

What’s the lease buyout?

Term ends aug 2021. Not sure of the buyout.

Talk to a lemon lawyer first and see what they advise you.

Will explore the legal route if they can’t diagnose the problem. Car still at dealership and received a call from the service manager yesterday. Gave me a line of BS that they reset the ECU and installed updates and the car drives fine as they put 20 miles on it with no issues. I explained that his service techs just did the exact same thing 3 weeks ago and we put a couple hundred miles on it until it shut off on a busy road. His response was, we’ll I understand your concern but I’m confident it won’t happen again. Here in the Burgh, the only response to an idiotic statement like that is, thanks Jagoff. Told him to keep it until they figure out what caused it. Shortly after, received a call from the lady handling my case in consumer affairs, she’s getting a regional specialty tech to assist in diagnostics.

Pretty frustrating to say the least, even more so because they couldn’t get me a loaner. But Infiniti is reimbursing a rental although suvs are slim pickings right now.

2 Likes

Except

It sounds like you are already there.

As someone who has leased 3 lemons, two that were were bought-back, you are well past that point of needing legal advice if you don’t want to reach deep into your own pockets to make this problem go away.

And you asked for advice and now you have it. Good luck.

2 Likes

Wow, talking about luck, what brands?

Did you ask for a rental if no loaners are available?

1 Like

I did. So I called the enterprise near my house and asked for the most expensive vehicle… Got an Escalade. Infiniti customer service is terrible. The sunroof on my S60 wasn’t closing properly, made an appointment and two days later they concierged me and dropped off an XC90. Night and day.

1 Like

Make sure you document conversations, names, dates, etc.

All buttoned up. Got a lemon law attorney and just finalized the paperwork yesterday. Thanks @ctnyc for your recommendation. Nissan won’t admit a problem or let me out of the lease but gave me the equivalent of my remaining lease payments so I can choose what to do. Will likely just let it sit for a while as we have no need for 2 cars now. Thanks everyone for the guidance.

3 Likes

Great to hear I could help - Hope everything works out in your favor for you! If you’re using the law firm I PM’d you about, you should be in good hands!