3 Row SUV Search

We bought a 23 XC90 T8 last year and like it a lot. The purchase made sense for the 7500 rebate, CA rebate etc. (it was right before the IRA became effective) because lease numbers and purchase discounts were poor. It works well but won’t impress anyone at school.

For a more impressive car, the X7 seems like the best and we considered it. It was just more difficult to justify because of no EV credit and no gas savings.

Also reconsider if anyone cares or will even look at your car. I got an e-tron GT lately and picked up / dropped off my daughter few times and no one bats an eyelash.

2 Likes

This.

Nobody gives a FooK what kind of car you drive other than your insurance company and someone that wants to steal it.

We drove kids to school in a Cayenne S for a while and it might has well have been a '88 Plymouth Voyager.

2 Likes

That’s a good mentality that we as a family have always had. I think since we’ve always had this approach in life, my wife wants to be fancy pants for a little bit.

We exceed the income limits for the EV credit so that doesn’t help us.

Oh shit. White Voyager with the wood panel siding… that was clutch on long road trips when I was a kid.

1 Like

The answer to this question is alwaysget a minivan”. Get a decked out Carnival or Odyssey or Sienna. Buy new, extended warranty, drive it until the wheels fall off.

1 Like

I think the options vary on whether you want an actual 3-row or just something that’s a little bit more spacious than your highlander (which is pitful).

True 3-row options

1. pre refresh Escalade (2020 or older)
  2. current gen Tahoe/Yukon
  3. X7
  4. Grand Wagoneer/wagoneer

If you are ok with a smaller 3rd row - cpo XC90, new MDX (lots of dealers offering around 5k off of a 23), QX60. Heck even a Grand Highlander or waiting for the LX refresh might make sense.

A lot of 2020s came out in the fall of 2019 so there’s only a few months of the new car warranty left.

And you’ll probably be shocked at how many are missing features that are in your Highlander.

These are not true three row SUVs, in the sense that they don’t actually offer more capacity than the larger crossovers.

Ridiculous. Nobody ever should need, want, buy or drive a minivan save and except if you need to have it modified for a disabled passenger or driver with the low entrance height, reinforced ramp, etc. (BraunAbility, VMI and other NMEDA-approved vans). Those are definitely worth it all around.

Or you are Chili Palmer.

3 Likes

Agree with this :100:
Especially if:

Fancy and minivan is an oxymoron.

1 Like

BMW X7 is the correct answer here. Best infotainment, interior, driving dynamics.

Oops. Didn’t realize pre refresh caddy was smaller.

Wanted to ask everyone here on some other options I should be considering for the next family SUV for my wife.

Budget is $60-70k (new or CPO)

Has to have three rows and decent cargo space

Our Highlander was barely cutting it in terms of space. So we’re looking at the following;

• BMW X7 (i6 version)
  • MB GLS450
  • New Sequoia (likely out of budget)
  • 2024 Lexus GX (out early 2024)
  • Lexus LX (mpg is horrible though)
  • Infiniti QX80 (mpg also horrible)

We think the Audi Q7 is same size as Highlander so it’s too small. Same goes for the Infiniti QX60.

My wife loved the Highlander Platinum interior, but felt the exterior was super pedestrian looking.

Is there any other luxury vehicles we should be looking at?

Plan to pay cash and own for 6-7 years.

1 Like

Should the Kia EV9 be on the list as well? Though that would be lease only for me.

Have you considered the carnival?

1 Like

People complain and talk crap about Toyota/Lexus, but there’s a reason why those on your lists are likely out of your budget. You may be able to get CPO X7 or GLS, depending on year and mileage.

If you are looking for space, you should be looking at the Grand Highlander or Lexus TX over the other Toyota/Lexus.

I did initially but I heard the space isn’t much bigger. Idk.

BOF (body on frame) SUVs are the least efficient in terms of packaging and space.

You can compare specs of a Grand Highlander, Pilot or Traverse etc to see how little interior volume, if any, you get for the larger exterior dimensions of a LX, GX, QX80, etc.

On a weekend trip with the guys to Montreal we rented a Suburban. Not sure what they go as CPO but if you want space that is it. 6 men sat very comfortable.