26% APR on a Used Car loan?

Is it better for them to just not have access to credit?

6 Likes

Iā€™m not a finance person, so this is a genuine question: why is it not profitable to lend at 2% but is profitable to lend at 26%, if the person doesnā€™t pay regardless?

If they usually donā€™t pay, does it make a difference? Again, genuine question.

Am I supposed to be outraged and demand congress DO SOMETHING??!?!?

If people are stupid, theyā€™re stupid. There shouldnā€™t be a law against that.

Look on the bright side. That sucker paying 26% allows people here to walk away with killer deals. They subsidize us. So keep it going suckers.

4 Likes

And theyā€™re all wrong.

2 Likes

The goal isnā€™t to make every single loan profitable, itā€™s to have a portfolio that makes money overall.

A lender doesnā€™t know which of the consumers with, say, 520-580 credit scores will default, but they know pretty close to what percentage will.

The goal is to set pricing for a given risk profile so that overall the portfolio provides a target return after factoring in all of the profits and all of the losses.

4 Likes

Itā€™s not profit on an individual loan. Itā€™s profit on a group of loans.

2 Likes

A Watch of The Big Short can explain this in an entertaining way.

So it is, in essence, ā€œactuarialization?ā€

Finance 101 textbook would as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

They finally are starting it, but itā€™s youtube videos they use :upside_down_face:

One manā€™s predatory lending is another manā€™s risk-based pricing. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

My point was lost. The people that ā€œnurseā€ the dying canā€™t do basic math. Thatā€™s comforting. Their job has plenty of math fyi if you know anything about charting in healthcare.

1 Like

I love these once a month ā€œfeel badā€ stories from the press. It only helps the libertarian cause more. Here.

In the ā€œrealā€ world it fuels the proverbial fire.

2 Likes

Itā€™s like ā€œjournalistsā€ spin the wheel on who to profile.

This month itā€™s a single mom with 2 jobs who is paying 26% interest on a car loan. How mean!!

Next month itā€™s a recent immigrant who got Covid 3 times that had to endure a 70% increase in rent. How mean!!

Month after thatā€¦spin the wheel and see who we have as your victim.

1 Like

1 Like

Victimhood olympics.

2 Likes

30 year fixed rate mortgage(even for investment unit) probably only exists in the US, and for foreigner as I, Iā€™m really jealous, so I joined last year 2.5% fixed 30years, I will never payoff that loan really, itā€™s money on the table, only thing I regret is I didnā€™t buy another investment unit. :joy:

Yes, it is really getting old pretending like people had guns put to their heads when making decisions. It is not the place of the state to regulate transactions between to willing parties.

1 Like

Thatā€™s why I deleted my post (b/c it wasnā€™t addressing your point).

But, at any rate, Iā€™m a physician. So, yeah, Iā€™m pretty familiar w/ charting. And while itā€™s been many yrs since Iā€™ve had to review a nurseā€™s chart, I actually donā€™t recall there being a lot of math in that part of the chart (at least in terms of what the LVNs were charting) outside of a step-down/ICU setting. RNs, yes, they need to be good at math. But LVNs donā€™t do nearly as much (AFAIK).

I think pharmacists (of which youā€™re apparently one) do way more math than do (did) I or a nurse.

Not sure if the disparity is b/c of possibly varying state regulations or even just something that is hospital-specific.

Well, I guess thatā€™s my point, though. I mean, the arguments used to justify calling it simply risk-based as just as circular (more so, AFAIK) than the ones used to justify calling it predatory.

I mean, if you make $ off of it, more power to you (generic you, not you specifically). But letā€™s not fool ourselves about what this is. (edit: from the little Iā€™m seeing, CA state might be more restrictive in terms of what LVNs can do, vs. other states)

3 Likes

Credit card rate should mean nothing to you, if you need money, consider personal loan.
Credit card is a debit card that with cash back and benefits, thatā€™s all. Never carry any balance on a credit card. I think this should be Chapter One in finance 101.

4 Likes