24 vs 36 month leases - pros and cons

What are the pros and cons of 24 vs 36 months leases, assuming the same mileage per year, say 10K? Do you end up paying more in fees, license, registration, etc. on a 24 months lease? Which is normally the better deal or does it depend on each car?

Generally speaking, 36 months will usually be a better lease than 24.

36 months is more favorable for spreading out acquisition fee, document fee, dealer fee, etc. Depending on the state, taxes may or may not matter.

Most people would probably rather get in a new car every 2 years than 3 years.

It really just depends on the lease program. Some 24 month leases are cost prohibitive.

Your fees (and taxes in full tax states) are amortized over a shorter time period so have a greater impact on 24 month vs 36 month. This can be offset by a combination of substantial discount, lower MF for shorter duration or favorable residual spread. In any case, run the numbers every time because they differ from manufacturer and model. In the case of Q1 2018 leases of Volvo S90 and BMW I3, shorter lease was better because of enhanced residuals and really deep discounting.

Shorter leases can mean the likelihood of needing tires before end of term is almost nonexistent. 36 months…it becomes iffy depending on where you live. I have never gotten 36 months out of a set of OEM tires despite rotating/balancing religiously living in the NE. Others will argue it’s my fault, of course.

OTOH, you’re paying acquisition fee/doc/title/lic fees more often in a 2 year lease, as well as the potential disposition fee if changing brands.

1 Like

Tires … yes, I learned that the hard way with my current BMW lease. One tire is right at 4/32 (probably dip below soon) and one just dipped under 4/32 :frowning: Really wish my current car were a 48 mo. lease, I would have enjoyed it for another year, free service and warranty.

Buy used tires locally. Try Craigslist.

Yep, that’s the way to do it. $100 for a pair vs $300/tire that BMW wants to charge.

1 Like

Why are 48 mo leases that much more expensive? because the value of the car falls off a cliff after 4 yrs, warranty is out?

models are usually refreshed every few years or so, so good chance a 4 year old car won’t be the most up to date, thus further hurting the RV. If a car is a whole generation behind, the residual will plummet.

1 Like

I have a 24month for 2019 model and a 36month lease offer for a 2018 model of the same car/trim for exactly same monthly rate. There has been nothing changed to the model between the two years; they are otherwise identical.

I will NOT be buying out at the end of the lease.

Is there any reason to choose one over the other?

Appreciate a guidance; looking to make a decision quickly

Are they exactly the same MSRP? What packages? What Make?

I’d rather have a newer car for 2 years than an older car for 3 years, but all depends on the actual car and which one I like more.

Same MSRP. Nissan Leaf. 2018 one has couple extra options (not important; cosmetic).

Well if that’s CA then the 2 identical monthlies are not really identical due to the $1500 CVRP rebate…which the 36 mo gets while the 24 doesn’t.

Nope. This is not CA. Its in MO. No other rebates/incentives that I’m aware

I wish people would post their actually deals and not ask these stupid questions would just go away, you’re helping no one. If you actually posted some numbers you could actually be helpful, instead you’re just selfish and want advice with little to no details. Why don’t you just piss off

If same car, same monthly go for 24 months. Why drive a 2 year old car for no reason?
Problem solved

1 Like