2024 Mazda CX-5 Preferred - Good Deal or Should I Keep Searching?

I’m planning to purchase a 2024 CX-5 Preferred trim in Black/Black or Black/Parchment. I have very little experience with car buying, so I just want to make sure I’m not messing up. I’m in New Jersey and have contacted numerous dealers in the surrounding area. I’ve been negotiating for the past week, and the best I’ve been able to get is $33,350 OTD on an MSRP of $32,470 (includes all taxes, registration fees, doc fee, etc). I have no trade in, and I don’t qualify for any of the manufacturer rebates. My plan is to pay cash.

I thought it was a decent price, but after reading online, it seems like others have done better. I know there’s quite a bit of nuance in pricing due to area, taxes, etc, and I’m clueless if I actually did a good job. Mostly everything I had gotten was in the $34k-$35 OTD, so I was happy to get something lower than that. One emailed me back with “that’s very aggressive pricing, and we will have to pass.” If anyone could give me some input, I would really appreciate it. I feel so uninformed in making this decision, and I definitely could use some advice.

That’s a sum, and you’ll want to break it down

Sales price
Doc
Reg & title
Tax

Sorry, I should have itemized this in my post.

MSRP: $32,470
Sales Price: $30,490
Doc: $499
Reg/Title (includes 4 year registration for NJ): $307.00
Tax: $2,053.02

OTD: $33,349.02

I know the Doc fee is excessive, but they won’t bend on it all. My thought process was that as long as the OTD price was okay, I wouldn’t focus as much on how the breakdown is allocated.

Compare the sum of these two line items to the comparable sum of the same make/model in the Marketplace

1 Like

With these APR’s you may consider a lease
2.9% APR (non Turbo) or 0.9% APR (Turbo)

Based on SIGNED, it seems you’re good.

Purchase Price: $33,149 (0% off MSRP)
Signed on Jun 2023
New Jersey

Purchase Price: $31,655 (3% off MSRP)
Signed on Mar 2023
Bergen County, New Jersey

I believe OP is talking 2024, you guys are comparing 2023 at end of 2023,

If a '24 lease is good or better than a '23 lease, isn’t that relevant?

No '24’s in SIGNED, so making due with what is listed.

1 Like

Yes, b/c that’s generally how you get a better deal (esp since, AFAIK, there is no significant change for the CX-5 from 2023 to 2024).

1 Like