2024 Acura ZDX Unveiled

Other than an NSX or Integra Type R, Acuras are pretty meh in general.

The MDX is popular with soccer moms.

the rdx and mdx are the best driving cars in their peer group (i’d include lexus, infiniti, volvo, and audi). they have horrible infotainments.

1 Like

Never drove it, but I thought the 2nd gen Legend coupe was wonderful, design-wise.

1 Like

really? After having some seat time in both, nothing special, but value for money is hard to beat. Then once it gets into to Type-S territory, I’m left wondering why?

If the Type S powertrain was standard kit, and maybe bring the v6 back into the RDX (fantasy here) it move the marker. From what I get, they were targeting the 4th gen RX power figures, but now thats putting out torque figures similar to a GX v8. Its program budgets of course.

I had one, the cadillac doors were always a conversation starter lol, the little wheel almost look comical now. But going back to the ZDX, you are exactly right, for a near-luxury brand, that center infotainment that sticks out seems weird but it would cost too much to make that change from the Honda.

What were the Cadillac doors??? I remember the doors being fairly conventional.

By that I mean soft close, maybe it’s the wrong terminology. If they are not closed all the way, the door motor will shut it tight, that’s pretty amazing feature for a car at Legend’s price point.

1 Like

Man I loved the Legend back when I was in high school in the mid-90s. What a great design.

I had a 2008 MDX that was my first “nice” vehicle. I loved that car like a family member because it cost so much relative to what I was making at the time.

I tried to rekindle the flame with a 2022 MDX Type S but got rid of it after 3 months because the build quality was lacking and it wasn’t really that fast. I knew it had poor gas mileage but the gas tank was so small, so I was visiting the gas station like 2-3 times a week and it got old. Drove me to get an EV lol.

1 Like

I hate to be that person, but for some reason Honda Canada’s quality standards were a cut above East Liberty, Ohio.

I remember the 2nd gen MDX was really a beast, SH-AWD was the full fat version, and it looked futuristic inside (buttons galore but that was in back then). The 3rd Gen QC was absolute travesty. I remember seeing it in person and immediately noticing the panel gaps and panel misalignment (hood and front fenders).

Oh, I consider those Mercedes S-Class (W140) doors! :wink:

I had no idea the Legend had those!

I guess if they sell an EV that means their fleet emissions are lowered? Compliance car?

I do like the look of it over the Lyriq and Blazer EVs. It also doesn’t have the stupid Lyriq charge port door and has regular door handles.

I think Acura did this quick partnership with GM as Acura is way way behind in the EV development.

So the ZDX is probably just a 1st gen quick filler… until Acura releases its fully manufactured/built EV cars that I hope would resemble the much nicer Acura Precision EV Mid-size Concept car which I liked better in design as it looks like a futuristic EV Acura MDX.

1 Like

Looks like Honda e:Ny 1 will be used for Acura’s next line of EVs.

Edit: that’s just rumors and speculation.

1 Like

Honda (ironic since hybrid supercar NSX) and Nissan (ironic since LEAF) cant compete RD wise, so partnerships are easier as a stop gap. Issue is if the partner has issues with production or product, now their issues becomes your issues. Right now GM has issues so I dont expect this ZDX to launch as quickly as they say.

1 Like

Honda doesn’t have enough R&D $, or Acura doesn’t?

I assume Honda has plenty of R&D $ (but I’m not an industry insider) but that it (along w/ other Japanese and Europe makers) weren’t focusing on BEVs (focusing more on hydrogen) and so were caught off-guard w/ Tesla’s success.

North America is not a primary market for EVs. That’s why China is getting the Model 3 refresh first. Even Hyundai introduces new models in China, Australia, and Europe before NA.

1 Like

Both. Its the same story with Nissan, the Ghosn debacle left a huge gap in funding, and hence almost every current product refresh are just the same platforms being reused with some efficiency improvements.