2023 Subaru Forester Premium

Would dealerships intentionally mark up on money factor to make more money? I do not know how dealerships make money off of deals. Would the extra $40-$50/mo make the salesman more commission?

Every day of the week, and twice on Sundays

Hell Yeah Yes GIF by VH1

2 Likes

:laughing: That’s too funny

Another read through Leasing 101 may be in order: that the dealer can markup the MF is one of the basics. That’s why we always recommend you get the buy-rate from Edmunds or Rate Finder, and do all the math yourself before you speak with a dealer.

1 Like

Usually a dealer gets to keep almost the entire mark up amount, so that $50/mo is an extra $1000 in their pocket per vehicle.

1 Like

I will post any updates! I will probably hear back from them on Monday

By Monday you could have an ASPCA membership, a VIP certificate, and a Forester on order/hold at invoice.

And have calculated your own target deal.

2 Likes

There is nothing you should be waiting for the dealer to tell you at this point.

2 Likes

What isn’t clear: you tagged TX and LA as states — in which do you live? Texas is an upfront tax state, definitely-definitely makes more sense to buy than lease there.

I am in Louisiana but may purchase from Texas. Sales tax is lower in Texas. We are close to 10% where I live… I can purchase from Texas (family)

and you also get to avoid the Napoleonic Code as well, so that’s a bonus.

1 Like

Sales tax is based off your registration address, not the dealer’s location.

And if we are talking leases, the tax rate may be lower in texas, but the total taxes paid on a lease are definitely not.

2 Likes

IDK if you should be banking on that equity being yours.

Banks like Chase/Volvo, Ally, US Bank, etc have made it increasingly harder for the lessee to get any equity.

Between the acq fee and the rent charge I doubt you’re saving any money over financing it, so why are you taking the chance that the equity escapes you?

I say I am banking on the equity because currently a 2017 Forester Premium with 60k miles is worth the $20k. They tend to keep their value well. I am sure a 2023 with 30k miles will be worth more than the residual in the end. I can always buyout the lease in the end and sell the car. This would lower my cost of owning the car and I can get into another new car.

People say that all the time but so many times they never do.

We just went through the most slam dunk period in history for buying out a lease and I’ve lost count of how many people still chickened out.

“I got an offer that nets me X after TTL, but it expires in 7 days and what if the offer drops significantly by the time I have a title in my name?”

Again, you never explained exactly how you’re benefiting in exchange for giving up your ability to instantly monetize your equity at any point in time.

Exactly this.

I’ve also witnessed (many) situations with selling/buying real estate or postponing a new house build as well. Its been the same old list of “what if’s” and waiting for a greener tomorrow to arrive.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.