2023 Pathfinder w/ 12k miles stopped working

Long story short the car just didnt turn on Friday and is now in the shop. They think it could be fairly major. The dealer gave me a 2023 Armada Platinum with 900 miles on it as a loaner. Is there anyway to negotiate a potential turn in and swap out for the Armada? I dont think we’re in Lemon Law territory yet but seems like i have some bargaining power and leverage.

Wait 30 days for it to be in the shop.

What’s the Ohio lemon law statute in plain English?

If they’re allowing you to use a plat armada and you’re making payments on a pathfinder I wouldn’t be in a rush for anything. Let them keep your pathfinder as long as they want!

8 Likes

oh i didnt even follow up today! i love the car.

2 Likes

Still in the shop and they cannot find out what is wrong. Wondering what my next step should be to get the Lemon ball rolling.

Most will ask you to wait, but just remember Lemon Law attorneys work for FREE, they are paid by the OEM.

Give them a call now.

Googling your state’s lemon law and then copy- pasting it here.

In the first year or first 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first:

• Have three or more attempts been made to repair one problem and the problem has continued to exist or happened again?

• Has the vehicle been in a repair shop for a cumulative 30 days or more?

• Have eight or more attempts been made to fix different problems?

strong text• Has one unsuccessful attempt been made to fix a problem that could cause death or serious injury? If you answered “yes” to at least one of these questions, you have the legal right to ask the manufacturer to replace the lemon or refund the entire purchase price.

i think the last bullet point is currently the angle.

For a car that was parked and would not start?

And was not returned “fixed” and failed to start again?

Give them some time to diagnose the issue, wayyy too early.

I (briefly) lived in Ohio when I had multiple documented instances of that last bullet you referred to: leased car with a few thousand miles completely died at speed while driving, often I’d be trying to merge on highway and hit gas and it wouldn’t accellerate. I got nowhere with that car and Ohio’s lemon law. I’m 2/2 in CA though.

2 Likes

Funny enough I literally just returned my 23 Pathfinder today at the dealer via repurchase through lemon law. I leased the vehicle in Jan 2024, started having problems in Aug 2024. The vehicle is an unreliable badly made piece of shit which I’ll detail more below. Similar to yours, the problem was with engine related across 3 different incidents.

1. August. At 6000 miles, the engine had a complete malfunction when i was driving on the highway. I was able to pull over but it was extremely dangerous. I got it towed, the dealer had the car for 2 weeks, but said they fixed the issues.

2. September. I received the car back, but immediately realized the engine had very little response and thrust (unable to accelerate quickly). Shortly thereafter the engine temporarily gave out again when i was on a bridge with no lane to pullover safely. Fortunately it wasn’t a complete malfunction, but quite scary again. I took the car to the dealer. They had it for 3 days and said they fixed the issue again. (surprise: it was not)

3. October. The car is functional, barely, but the engine has very little response and thrust, as experienced above. This makes it dangerous when needing to speed up quickly (i.e. merging onto the highway) or just generally navigate traffic. the RPM regularly exceeds 7000-8000, even when pushing the gas pedal down only slightly.

Obviously at this point I met the requirement for Lemon law. I hired a Lemon Law attorney who advised me to call Nissan to complain and say i’m not satisified with the vehicle. I noted the multiple engine problems. They took my VIN, put me on hold and gave me a call back the same day. They said they will buy back the car and refund me for all my lease payments, less some usage charges. To my surprise they put up NO fight whatsoever, so this is a serious engine/transmisison issue they’re having with the '22-23 Pathfinders and Nissan wants the bad batches off the road asap. Even my pro bono lawyer rec’d I take the offer and not go through him. He was very helpful and generous with his time even though he didn’t get paid (and helped me through the whole process after I got the offer). The guy from Morely today (a 3rd party that takes possession of the vehicle) also noted they’re seeing a lot of issues with these as well.

In summary don’t be in a rush to take the car back from the dealer. Return it multiple times as they probably won’t be able to fix it 1st time around. Seems like we got a bad batch. For what it’s worth, I test drove the '24 Pathfinder and the thrust on that was horrible, so the issue seems to be carrying over the 24 MYs.

They are cheap cars but badly made, though I miss my old $180/m Frontier lease lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.