2023 IRA EV/PHEV Lease Credit "pass-through"

More early payoffs. Most car buyers don’t have enough to early payoff their cars. So you are assuming people would be early paying off their loans.

I see. Well there seems to be plenty of interest in the CU financing thread. I have a rate less than half of the lease rate from a local CU.

Won’t most people who can get approved on a lease also be able to get approved on a buyout loan?

I know I’m taking on the risk on the depreciation down the line but it should still be a lower TCO than leasing.

1 Like

Depends , Leases can do T7 loans and I don’t know if any CU’s or other banks would touch a T7.

That’s pretty cool. I always underestimate how much info is available publicly!

1 Like

These are 15k residuals

1 Like

I am about to buy an ID.4…do you guys think it’s better to lease and then just buy it out after a month? The benefit would be to get the $7500 off the price right away? Do you end up paying less tax since the price of the car is also less?

What state are you in?

1 Like

In Colorado, manufacturer incentives are taxed so you will be taxed on the $7500 that VW passes along.

California :sunny:

I’d lease it
Eat the acquisition fee
And buy it out (I wouldn’t want to wait to file taxes next year + if you meet the liability)
And you are taxed the $7500 in Ca I believe (no way you get a break)

1 Like

Once your deal is done, please do let me know what numbers you got and which dealer in San Diego you used.

Correct. In California, you pay sales tax on the $7,500 lease credit.

2 Likes

So I just have to make sure it’s at base MF and nothing down right? I’d just be eating the acquisition fee

Correct, but if they mark it up you are going to buy it out ASAP so it’s just going to be a few extra $$$

And yes on the acquisition fee

Oh good point! Thanks! On another note, has anyone been able to get an ID.4 under msrp lol

Probably not in CA

1 Like

I suspect they will want first payment DAS (vs $0 DAS), otherwise yes and everything everyone else said: 7500 is taxed, CA taxes lease payment so you will pay tax on buyout.

Since there aren’t state rebates involved, you can look outside CA since

Keep in mind that the dealership will get a chargeback on the financing if you buy out immediately. They understand that is a possibility, another reason I think MSRP or under is a stretch (front is forever), but good luck in your search.

1 Like

Would buying out of state affect the $2k CVRP California state rebate or as Long as you register in cali, should still get the $2k

Ahh yes: CCFR is still broke but CVRP and CVRP require the purchase in state. Also double check, but when you lease IIRC there is a requirement to hold the car. I don’t think switching from lease to purchase (vs a flip) would be an issue but :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I agree, would be nice if Ford did something to compete with Tesla’s new pricing. I thought Ford no longer allows leased Mach-E’s to be bought out.

Does anyone know if there are any other banks/lessors that will do a lease on a Ford Mustang Mach-E…and if any part of the $7500 tax credit would be passed on to the lessee?

1 Like